zeagle tech or zeagle ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfproul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking to buy a Bc that would fit a single or twin tanks
and my question is ...wich one of the two zeagle tech or ranger
will do a better job for sport diving ? what are the difference exept
the 2 clips for the tech and the welcro for the ranger in front ?

any comment ?

thank you

jf

The "Ranger" has pockets, the "Tech" doesn't.
Unless they've changed the bladder on the "Tech", it has 65# of lift compared to the 44# lift of the "Ranger".

the K

so the ranger would be more practical for sport diving

I would suppose so, unless you want to move on up to more technical diving.

Your call . . .

the K

My tech had pockets. Just like the ranger on the outside of the weight pockets. The Ranger had a velcro cumberbun with a single fastex snap over top, the Tech has double fastex fasteners in front. Most of the changes I have seen between the Ranger and Tech were fairly cosmetic, other than the different default lift capacities (65 lbf v 45 lbf). The tech has a little dodad for attaching a crotch strap, which then makes it essentially the same as the 911 I can't remeber if the Ranger does.

The Tech is the BC frame the 911 and SAR are built upon, and it was the first break-through technical BC.

Over the years the differences between a Tech and a Ranger have deminished as many Tech features have crossed over. The original Ranger bladder was narrower, almost like on the Stiletto today. Now a diver can choose to get all the extra D-rings, and have the cummerbund too by going with the Ranger LTD.

Choice is good!

Chad

jfproul:
I am looking to buy a Bc that would fit a single or twin tanks
and my question is ...wich one of the two zeagle tech or ranger
will do a better job for sport diving ? what are the difference exept
the 2 clips for the tech and the welcro for the ranger in front ?

any comment ?

thank you

jf

I have both and both can be used for diving doubles. I think neither are ideal for doubles, mostly for convenience/flexiblilty reasons.

The old Tech didn't have pockets, but the newer one does. I don't find the small BC pockets all that useful up here as they are hard to manage with 7mm or dry gloves. I have a larger Zeagle add-on pocket that I find more useful.

Ranger and Tech parts are interchangable, so your Zeagle dealer can mix and match to get the configuration and lift you need. (If a standard model doesn't already do it for you)

If you will be doing mostly singles diving, but want the ability to do doubles on rare occasions, the Ranger is a good choice because the smaller bladder is slightly more streamline. Unless you are diving with stage bottles, the lift on a Ranger is plenty. I like the Tech for dry-suit diving becuase mine is configured with a crotch strap and I find the double buckles snug up better.

Zeagle also sells a BP that can mount any of the Zeagle BC bladders, but the attachment is unique to Zeagle and they don't yet have a full range of standard BP/wing bladders. Hopefully, Zeagle will come out with a single tank doughnut wing some day soon :wink:

I have a ranger, and have dove doubles on it, I'd suggest a ranger or brigade for singles and go BP/W for doubles, if you need 60lbs of lift that means big steel tanks, 60lbs bladder is also not practical for a single tank, BP/W best in that situation, OR if your looking to be flexible go BP/W from the start.

What kind of doubles where you looking to dive and for what kind of diving?

Back
Top Bottom