Aqualung Pro QD BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christopher520

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just purchased and used the aqualung Pro QD BCD.

I would like to pass on my pros and cons of this piece of equipment as i have found them so far.

I don't want to go into a long detailed message about the BC's construction and features, if you want them you can visit aqualung.

The pro's of this BC is that I have found that with the weights intergrated that its much more comfortable than wearing a seperate weight belt, which im sure anyone who has tried diving without an intergrated BC already knows.

The con's i've noticed so far is that while inflated on the surface the BCD will try to float you into a face down attitude, which i don't like.

Ive only noticed these two aspects of BC so far, as i said, i have only worn it once so far.

chris.

Put 4 lbs. in each of the trim pockets on the back and make sure you are not overweighted. Then, don't overinflate at the surface.

If you NEED to wear a lot of weight (say, more than 20 lbs. total) consider using a steel tank or putting some weight on the tank strap. Excessive weight on the front of the body will put you face down no matter what BC you have.

theskull

theskull:
Put 4 lbs. in each of the trim pockets on the back and make sure you are not overweighted. Then, don't overinflate at the surface.

If you NEED to wear a lot of weight (say, more than 20 lbs. total) consider using a steel tank or putting some weight on the tank strap. Excessive weight on the front of the body will put you face down no matter what BC you have.

theskull

Sounds good, i was thnking about that as well, so now i know for sure, thanks.

chris

I have a Pro QD. I bought it in 2002 and have close to 200 dives on it. It can take 10 pounds in the non ditchable weight pockets. I used soft weights and they tend to work there way out on long rough boat rides. I sewed them in. End of problem. My QD weight pouches were secured with velcro only. I notice on the newer ones they back this up with a clip. When the velcro wore on mine the QD weights became self ditching. Most disconcerting. I "ditched" those and have been using a weight belt with it for about the last hundred dives or so. Properly trimmed out this BC will float you heads up. It is comfortable and easy to don and ditch. Other then the quick draw weight pockets, mine has held up well through a ton of diving. I'm thinking of going to a BP/wing set up, but my Pro-QD is hold up well and is doing the job so I'm in no hurry. I even got the bands for it and run doubles with it on occasion.

Jim

I own a SeaQuest (Aqualung) ProQD+ and have to agree that it is a good BC jacket. As recommended, distribute your weights to the trim weight pockets on the back of the BC, it will help off-set the weights you have in the front weight pockets.

The only negative thing I find on the ProQD+ is that it is a bit bulky. But definitely a nice piece of gear.

Haven't been diving in it except for confine water assistance since I have fallen in love with BP+Wing. Anyway, enjoy your ProQD.

Ciao,

I know most do not agree with me but i still wear a weight belt with a little of my weight from the PRO QD distributed on my waste. I do it for class reasons. WHile i am demonstrating bcd removal and replacement it keeps me from floating up. Also if a weight pouch falls out I can still stay down safely. Overall i really like the BCD. It is a little bulky because it is so cushioned and confortable. Have a good one. Clay

craborn:
I know most do not agree with me but i still wear a weight belt with a little of my weight from the PRO QD distributed on my waste. I do it for class reasons. WHile i am demonstrating bcd removal and replacement it keeps me from floating up. Also if a weight pouch falls out I can still stay down safely. Overall i really like the BCD. It is a little bulky because it is so cushioned and confortable. Have a good one. Clay

I do the same when using the ProQD+ for my confine water assistance. Other than the reason mentioned, I prefer to use a similar gear setup as the students. With the weight belt, I can use it to demonstrate weight removal u/w and at the surface the way the students are expected to do.

I have had my Pro QD+ a year now with about 47 dives on it. I have the "Sure-Lock" weight system.

Pros:

Its comfortable
Inflator has a good feel, no sticking
3 ways to dump air
Plenty of D-rings
Sure-lock ditchable weight system is, so far, reliable
Weight pouches can be easily placed in the pockets after donning the vest
I like the handles on the weight pouches
Nice handle on the back
Doesn't squeeze when I add air
Quick snap buckles on shoulder harness makes it real easy to get off
Good for heavy weights when using 7MM farmer johns (I had as much as 32 lbs)
More lift than you'll probably ever need
I like the elastic sternum strap
I did add the Sqeeze Lock dive knife for the left pocket grommets and it is easy to reach

Cons:

Had an ocasional tank slip with the single tank strap
Quick disconnect fitting on the inflator hose is hard to use with gloves
Pockets are hard to reach in the water with gloves on
Occasional air shift in the bladder knocking me off trim
Can ride up if you don't strap yourself in good.
Heavy for traveling. I've since purchased a Genesis Tropic for travel.

As mentioned above, I don't over inflate on the surface. No face down problems. Steel tanks really help. Knocked 6-8 lbs of lead off right away with my PST 100s. The trade off...the balancing act with steel tank placement on the backpack. Its touchy on the trim. Overall a good cool to cold water BC. Overkill for warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom