A review of Backplate/Wing vs. Jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
As requested in another thread, I have compiled a rather LONG review of my jacket BC (Sea-Quest Pro QD), my decision to switch to a backplate/wings, and a comparison of this set-up to my old BC after a grand total of 5 dives. As background – I am a relative newbie diver with about 60 total dives. I dive in New England with a 7mm farmer john/jacket wetsuit as well as a hooded vest.

PART I: Review of the Sea-Quest Pro QD

I bought a SeaQuest Pro QD jacket BC shortly after my OW course. The site below is a link to the Sea-Quest Pro QD+, the latest version of the QD that is most similar to my BC.

http://www.sea-quest.com/pages/bc/bc_proqdplus.html

Features: It is weight integrated with 2 ditchable weight pockets in the front that can hold up to 10 lbs each (held on by Velcro flaps), non-ditchable trim pockets (2 x 5lbs each) against your upper back, 3 air dumps (rear lower right, upper right shoulder -controlled by a knob that is on the front of your chest, and at the base of the inflator hose on your left shoulder), 2 large zippered front pockets, a cumberbund/strap/plastic buckle at the waist, a strap/plastic buckle across the upper chest, adjustable tilting shoulder straps, hard plastic tank mount in the back with a single tank strap (delrin-type buckle), and 6 D rings (1 on each shoulder, 1 at mid-chest level on each side and 1 at the front bottom on each side of the BC). The outside of the BC is made of cordura, which is very durable. I’ve used it for about 50 dives and the thing still looks brand new.

My impressions of this BC: Overall, I was pleased with it. I use a fair amount of weight and liked the ability to spread the weight between the ditchable pockets, the trim pockets and a weight belt. Construction of the BC seemed to be high quality and durable. The weight pockets stayed secure and I never had any problems with them shifting or moving (I took extra special care of the velcro). Comfort – no problems, with padded shoulder straps. Regarding the straps – I did always seem to have a hard time getting my arms in (I have LONG arms) without the straps twisting….perhaps due to the fact the strap webbing was not very stiff. Stability both under and above the water was adequate. The BC did have a tendency to ride up, forcing me to pull down on it during a dive.

The pockets, although not 100% usable when the weight pockets are fully loaded, were still adequate to carry what I needed. In the right pocket I kept my shears (I don’t carry a knife) and my back-up light on night dives. In the left pocket I could fit my Halcyon “Big Alert Marker” inside with no problem.

For about half the dives with this BC I was using a long primary hose with my octo held via a bungee “necklace” just below my chin. Prior to the long hose set-up, I secured my octo to the right chest D ring via an octo holder. On my long hose set-up, I had a basic SPG with no console, which I clipped off to my left chest D-ring. This ring was in perfect position to be seen without having to unclip it

Negatives included the following:
- I felt constricted across the front of my body. This was not helped by the large pockets and weight pouches.
- Small inflator/deflator controls – this became less of an issue with experience.
- Size: Even when fully deflated, it seemed to take up my entire dive bag. If you plan on taking your gear with you when you travel, this is not the BC for you.

Were these negatives enough to make me stop using this BC? No. In fact I felt like I was pretty comfortable with my gear as is, especially since I don’t aspire to be a tech diver or to dive with double tanks. Also, I just bought this BC in 2000…..

PART II: So why switch to a Backplate/Wings?

Well, a few reasons. First, I had the opportunity about a year ago to try out a Halcyon BP/wing set-up in a local pool thanks to the generosity of a local tech diver I know who is also a PADI instructor. Based on this brief in-water experience, I knew that somewhere down the line I would convert to a BP/wing, due to the obvious comfort, mobility and stability advantages. I was also becoming increasing interested in DIR and taking the DIR Fundamentals course. Taking the course meant buying a BP or at least borrowing one, and the last thing I wanted to do was take DIRF with a borrowed BP that I was using for the first time.

PART III: My product choices & an initial BP/wing performance review

So first – what to buy? I decided right away that I wanted a FredT backplate for several reasons: heavier (more negative) version of his plate is great for cold water/heavy exposure suit divers, 2 piece STA for tank mounting flexibility, and the great feedback I’ve seen from everyone who has bought his products. One quick note here – when I was first thinking about buying a backplate, I envisioned these things as huge pieces of metal that are 3-4 feet long. When I finally received the box from Fred in the mail, I couldn’t believe how small the box is. I don’t have the exact measurements in front of me, but I’m sure that even the “full size” FredT plate that I have is only about 18 inches long, if that. The whole rig even after full assembly with the wing just feels so much smaller than my QD.

Here is a link with descriptions of Fred’s products. He sells them direct – e-mail him at ftagge@goldinc.com for a price list and ordering instructions.

http://www.aulinc.com/Htm_Files/SS Backplates.htm.

Wing choice: Halcyon was the obvious choice for me based on others’ recommendations; fortunately I was able to find a quality used one. I honestly didn’t do a ton of research into other choices, but then again I felt like this was a no-brainer given Halcyon’s reputation. By buying this older version (without the “integrated” STA), I knew I had to buy an STA as well.

On to the assembly – I don’t pretend to be a mechanical-type or even play one on TV….but the assembly of the harness and attachment of the plate/wing was not that difficult. The key is making sure you have the right “pieces” and having some good schematics or pictures of the set-up to help you with the process. Here is a link to a report I wrote describing my set-up process. Note that there are some additional links in this report to helpful “how to” sites for setting up your harness.

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=447

The basic process is this (single tank with STA): (1) you set up the harness, complete with D rings, crotch strap and buckle; (2) you run 2 bolts through the STA, back plate and wing (there are grommeted holes in the wing) so that the threaded ends are protruding from the side of the BP that will be against your back. On my assembly, the top bolt also passes through the harness; (3) you secure the assembly via wing nuts that sit in the “channel” of the backplate. See the link below for a nice description of backplates and some pictures that help with assembly understanding. I am also including an attachment that provides another picture of an assembled harness.

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=436

So now that I’ve had the thing in the water for 5 dives, how would I compare it to my old BC?

Harness: The first thing that was immediately noticeable was the freedom of movement. You have shoulder straps and a harness belt and that’s it. No pockets. No weight pouches. No need to adjust the straps every time you don the rig. Getting the rig on feels easier as well, since you are just slipping your arms through the straps…..easier than the bulky padded straps of my old BC. Once your waist belt is fastened, the straps feel solid. One additional note – I read a few posts recently where folks had mentioned instances of the wing nuts that hold the rig together loosening – I’ve checked the wing nuts before and after every dive thus far and haven’t seen any loosening.

Weights: In shifting to a backplate, I contemplated various weight set-ups, but finally decided on a weight belt. Halcyon does offer its ACB weighting set-up, which consists of ditchable weight pockets that you can attach to your harness….but this was counter to my desire of creating a less restrictive rig. The main issue you face with a weight belt is whether to put it over the harness or under the harness – I have been diving with it under the harness. If nothing else, it prevents you from losing your weight belt due to the presence of the crotch strap.

Tank straps: I bought the “new style” Halcyon tank straps with the stainless steel buckles that don’t come apart – I know that tank straps seem like pretty mundane items, but I have to admit that I love these things. Having 2 straps instead of one is a definite improvement. The strap buckles even have numbers next to each slot in the buckle to remind you how the threading goes in case you forget – handy. The side that touches the tank is covered with this rubberized “Octogrip” material, which really helps the straps grip the tank. Add in the SS buckles – strap nirvana! My dive buddy Mike admitted that he now has strap envy! Bottom line – your tanks are safe and very secure. One other note – these straps are a potential source of tank "scuffing" for those who care, since the SS buckles make contact with your tank when closing them. Another issue -- my squat LP 98 is also about as short a tank as you would want in using this rig....the lower strap is mounted right down against my non-DIR boot, the upper is where the side of the tank first becomes perpendicular to the ground. One solution would be to use only one strap. Another would be to take the boot off, allowing you to slide the rig lower on the tank.

STA/tank mounting: As mentioned above, I use the 2 piece FredT STA as shown in the scubadiving.com link above. I have used my PST LP104 and OMS LP 98 with this rig and haven’t had any problems with mounting. One thing to note – with painted tanks like my OMS/Faber, the stainless steel STA is another source of tank scruffing (metal to painted metal contact). I will probably end up using some tool dip on my STA pieces before my next dive outing (no time to do it yet). I could care less about scruff marks on my tank, but would like to prevent exterior rust.

Controls: Halcyon wings have a dump valve on the rear left hip on the side of the wing that is closest to your body. The logic here is that as the wing wraps around your tank underwater, this valve is at or near the highest point on wing if you are maintaining a horizontal or slightly head down orientation, making dumping easier. This took a little getting used to, since my QD had the valve on the opposite side on the OUTSIDE of the BC. Also, Halcyon wings have a simple string attached to the dump valve with just a small knot at the end due to potential entanglement (vs. a string with a knob at the end on my QD). This takes some practice, but once you get used to where the valve is, a couple of sweeps with your finger and you can find the string without fail. On my last 5 dives I’ve been trying to hard to descend/ascend in a horizontal position, using the rear dump when ascending. On the first dive I was having some trouble dumping. While I didn’t shoot to the surface, I ascended more quickly than I would have preferred. On the next 4 dives, I quickly learned that sometimes you just need to “jackknife” your body slightly to get that last bit of air out of the wing ( leaving your butt as the highest point in the water column). On dives 4 and 5, I was able to free ascend slowly (no anchor line or other point of reference) horizontally from 35-40 feet in visibility of <10 feet, hold a stop at about 15 feet, and then ascend to the surface. Were these ascents picture perfect – no. But I know that with more practice and gear familiarity, I will continue to improve.

Halcyon wings also have a heavy duty inflator/deflator hose with large, easy to find buttons. This mechanism took a little getting used to given the small controls on my QD – not an issue, just different. I decided to try the DIR suggestion for using a bungee loop on the harness in the same spot as the left chest D ring to keep the inflator hose in place. I tried this for one dive and found it unnecessary. On subsequent dives I’ve left the hose hanging free….and it has always stayed close by. On a more complex doubles rig with stage bottles and lots of hoses...perhaps this makes more sense.

Movement and trim: I can’t say that I feel “night and day” difference between the two in the amount of effort required to move through the water, but given the lower profile of the BP/wing, it must be better. The crotch strap is a godsend, however – the plate/wing does not shift underwater AT ALL and feels very comfortable. I’ve been using ankle weights (not optimal, I know), since with my Sea-Quest, I always felt like I was standing on my head underwater without them. I did not remove them on the first dive with the BP, in the interest of changing one piece of gear at a time. As a result, on dive 1, my legs would sink when I tried to stop and maintain a horizontal position. I removed them for dives 2-5 and found my trim much improved. I think I still may need to tweak my trim, but since I am still trying to zero in on my correct weighting, I will hold off adding any weight towards the top of the tank.

On the surface, I did not experience any sensation of being pushed forward in the water when inflating the wing. I was able to float comfortably on the surface and to swim on my back with no problems.

D-rings: I set up a standard DIR harness with a D ring on each side of the harness (a few inches below my clavicle) and a D ring on the left sife of the belt (SPG slipped off here). These are the FredT billy rings (1 piece keeper/D ring combo), which seem to work well. I also have front and back D-rings on my crotch strap. Folks have said the front one is only for scootering -- since I use a regular pistol grip light for night diving, I like having this D ring to clip off the light during ascents/descents. The rear ring will be for my spool/lift bag.

Storage: Obviously there are no pockets on a backplate. There are various options – the Halcyon backplate pack (sits against your back), various pockets that can be placed on your harness belt, or a wetsuit-drysuit pocket that can be glued to either hip of your exposure suit. I bought the BP pack, but haven't used it yet. For the items I usually bring with me -- backup light will be clipped to the left chest harness strap and secured via bicycle tube loops I have on the harness; I've mounted a shears pocket on the left belt of my harness; my dive alert marker/spool will likely end up in the backplate pack clipped off to my butt D-ring or in a hip pocket (currently back-ordered).

So, long story short, I am happy I made the switch. To me, the improved mobility, stability and reduced profile of the bp/wing set-up was definitely worth the money I spent on it.

Note the attachment is courtesy of jetfinfan on scubadiving.com. This picture is of a FredT backplate. This is identical to my rig (including the shears pocket), except that he has belt D rings on both sides (I just have one on the left).

Thanks for the write up. Mine is on the way. I have been diving the balance so hope my experience is as good as yours was.

Chad

Hi sounds like you really enjoyed the bp/wing setup!
Ive been setting one up myself. I first put it together with a plastic backpack out of a scubapro vest. I changed my mind and
im having a ss backplate made! Im going to wait and try it out when its put together right!! One question Where did you get the
tank straps and how much did they cost? I going to make some v weights next.
Cya Rick L

You can buy a Halcyon pre-assembled kit from Extreme Exposure and others or buy the components and make it up yourself. The shoulder straps and waist belt are made from like 15-20 ft of 2" webbing, sold at www.reefscuba.com

Then just add some stainless steel sliders (keepers - at $.99 ea) and a Scubapro stainless steel waist buckle ($10 I believe) plus 3 ea D-rings. I have 4 D-rings on mine, but true DIR config allows only 3.

Then you can buy or make your own crotch strap.

Good luck, your going to love your rig...

Thanks for the very very detailed review. It will really be benificial in helping me make my decision.
Your review was more then I hoped for.

Thanks again

Excellent review, Large...

Originally posted by large_diver
I decided to try the DIR suggestion for using a bungee loop on the harness in the same spot as the left chest D ring to keep the inflator hose in place. I tried this for one dive and found it unnecessary.
but I'd have to disagree with you on this one. My bungee recently came untied just before a dive, after I'd fully geared up. I continued with the dive, and at one point discovered the inflator hose had migrated behind my shoulder and under my arm. If you're ascending in a manner unsuitable for using the lower dump, response time could be an issue.

One additional note – I read a few posts recently where folks had mentioned instances of the wing nuts that hold the rig together loosening – I’ve checked the wing nuts before and after every dive thus far and haven’t seen any loosening.
I don't currently use a STA, but on my older BP, the wingnuts would loosen over time. I'd generally snug them down every couple days, just to be sure. Having a tank wobbling around can be a bit disconcerting.

Weights: In shifting to a backplate, I contemplated various weight set-ups, but finally decided on a weight belt. Halcyon does offer its ACB weighting set-up, which consists of ditchable weight pockets that you can attach to your harness….but this was counter to my desire of creating a less restrictive rig.
IMHO, unless you're diving with a canister light and/or scooter, the ACBs are the best solution. With your arms tucked across your stomach, the ACBs are shielded from the water flow by your shoulders and arms. I don't find them restrictive either, but someone with very long upper arms might.

The main issue you face with a weight belt is whether to put it over the harness or under the harness – I have been diving with it under the harness. If nothing else, it prevents you from losing your weight belt due to the presence of the crotch strap.
So you have no ditchable weight? If you're overweighted, diving wet, and have a BC failure early in a dive, you could have too much to swim up without dropping some weight. The taskloading could become too much if you have to undo both belts to drop one, and you still have the problem of imitating a Trident missile when you drop all your weight. With the ACBs you could drop only one pocket and hopefully control your ascent.

Met,

Regarding your comment about "non-ditchable" weight......

It's a good question. I've thought alot about this one. If I was to have a BC failure at the surface (wetsuit), unbuckling the harness belt would be an extra step for getting rid of my weight belt...but I think it is manageable.

Of course, I can say that now, calmly typing at my keyboard....if something like this does happen, stress will be a little higher....

All that being said -- both buckles are close to each other. I don't have to thread the harness buckle back through the crotch strap loop....just get it loose enough to get rid of the weight belt.

Regardless, I appreciate the comment. I'll have to do some practice to see how easy/hard this really is.

-Chris

Excellent write-up.
Still, my personal preferences run a bit different. This past weekend I was using a BP (FredT heavy)/Dive-Rite Rec Wing with doubles & drysuit; next weekend I'll be using a Pro-QD with single AL 80's & wetsuit.
'Cause for me, with a single 80 & wet the Pro-QD is better.
'Course, I'll be using a short hose on my primary and an Air Source and an air-integrated computer and big ol' Frogs & other things that irritate my DIR brethren, too...
Rick

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
Excellent write-up.
<snip/>
'Cause for me, with a single 80 & wet the Pro-QD is better.
'Course, I'll be using a short hose on my primary and an Air Source and an air-integrated computer and big 'ol Frogs & other things that irritate my DIR brethren, too...
Rick

Care to explain why? What would be wrong with the BP/W that would cause you to ditch it for your wet suit dive?

Thanks in advance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom