completely wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnallen

Registered
Reaction score
would it be completely un-adviseable to buy a used bcd off ebay?

i would like to build my equipment list, but equipment is so expensive, that i'm looking for alternatives.

does the dive community suggest to always buy new (like climbing gear)? or do others buy used also?

I recommend it as a way to get an adequate BC at minimal cost. Plenty of entry level, pool faded, jacket style bc recycled out of training onto E-bay at $25 to $50. Look for fairly high volume scuba equipment sellers (100+) with good feedback. Many of these are LDSs turning over their training (or rental) stock. Make sure that they state that it is complete, does not leak, and the LPI inflator works. If you need the inflator hose, make sure it is included and also works.

Don't be in too much of a hurry. If you can wait, prices are better for scuba gear buyers in Nov - Dec.

jnallen:
would it be completely un-adviseable to buy a used bcd off ebay?

i would like to build my equipment list, but equipment is so expensive, that i'm looking for alternatives.

does the dive community suggest to always buy new (like climbing gear)? or do others buy used also?

No problem on 2nd hand BCD's. Just make sure you think about possible servicing when you look at the purchase price.

R..

ABSOLUTELY 100% WRONG!!

Just kidding :wink:

Buying a BC off eBay is perfecty fine. Give it a good once-over, make sure the inflator works, nothing is broken, and it stays full of air overnight and you're good to go. If you want to feel even better have your dive shop look it over.

Right, take the dive gear you bought on ebay to your local dive shop and ask them to look it over...and hope they don't think your a complete *sshole for it.

Completely wrong, no. The problem I have with ebay or anything like it is I can't get my hands on it first. You may get a great deal or get ripped off big time and there is little you can do about it. Your best bet and the only way I will buy used is to find someone local to buy from.That way I at least get a chance to look it over before giving up my cash. Lots of LDSs have rental equipment they sell from time to time and if you keep an eye in your local paper and sales fliers you can find some good deals. There are always people who are upgrading their equipment or who went hog wild into diving then quit.

As said its ok but,,
Have it checked out,
make sure its the right size for you,
ask seller questions-as lots of e-bay stuff is just recycled e-bay stuff going round and round!
check out sellers last purchases and see how much he paid and ask why he is selling it!
Good luck!

It's fine if you know what you're looking for, though for BCs I think I'd rather stick to local sellers, or local shops turning over rental gear so you can see it first. Especially living in an area where there should be a decent amount of that.

You can also check your local dive shop and see if they have used gear for sale. Our local shop offers used gear, I'm not sure if they are commissioned sales for people who have upgraded or if it's their old rental gear. That way you could see it and maybe even try it out in a pool or rent it for a weekend since it's used anyway. Occasionally you might run across a shop with a rent to buy program, that's another thought.
Ber :lilbunny:

you can get some great deals off ebay .... but you can get burned too ..... Last year I purchased a MR12 regulator, Swimaster BC, White Stage wetsuit, mask and fins from a guy getting out of diving for $100 plus $25 shipping. Gave the mask and fins to my daughter, sold the wetsuit for $25, letting the son-in-law use the Mr12 and BC until he can afford better stuff. The regulator did cost me $45 for service but it breaths great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom