wing vs jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmbelina

Reaction score
Why do tech divers use a back-inflate BC (same thing as wing?) as opposed to a jacket style BC?

Just curious, as I'm a new diver and haven't purchased any of my own equipment yet...wondering if I should start off with something like a ScubaPro Classic and move to back-inflate (wing) later, since in the years to come I would like to do technical diving.

dmbelina once bubbled...
Why do tech divers use a back-inflate BC (same thing as wing?)

Not the same... there are back-inflate bc's and then there are BP/wing setups. The wing is the buoyancy part of the system. It bolts to the back of the backplate. There are several different sizes and types. The bp system is modular. Use the type of wing for whatever type of diving you are doing. ie. 18lb wing for warm water. 27 or 36lb wing for colder water. 45, 55, or higher lb. wing for doubles.

Some bc's do offer different size bladders... not familiar with them, though.

.... are the same concept when compared to a jacket style BC.

The back-inflate BC won't be modular, but will create the same effect. Which is to keep the diver in a streamlined horizontal position during the dive. As opposed to a jacket style BC which will keep you in a more upright position. Which creates more drag and therefore more energy and air.

Hope this helps. Follow the links above for further information.
Ken

divernva once bubbled...
.... are the same concept when compared to a jacket style BC.

The back-inflate BC won't be modular, but will create the same effect. Which is to keep the diver in a streamlined horizontal position during the dive. As opposed to a jacket style BC which will keep you in a more upright position. Which creates more drag and therefore more energy and air.

Hope this helps. Follow the links above for further information.
Ken
Sorry divernva,
It just ain't so. A jacket can be trimmed for horizontal as well as a wing. A wing can force an upright position as well as a jacket (though the dynamic is different).
Rick

the DIR people are doing an injustice by trying to talk everyone into a BP / Wing. Then they wonder why the "N_zi" word pops up.

Dive in what works best for you. If you dive a lot, you'll figure out what works best for you. Like everything in life, practice, practice, practice.

MartiniTime wrote...
the DIR people are doing an injustice by trying to talk everyone into a BP / Wing. Then they wonder why the "N_zi" word pops up.
Not DIR, but wouldn't waste a penny on another dive using a jacket BC. It's not a DIR issue; it's based on my experience using both types of BC.

I tell people here about it because I don't want them wasting money on suboptimal equipment without fully knowing their options. Got a problem with that, bub?

If diving what I feel is the best setup and gear, and relaying my experiences with the gear, facts about the gear, and personal opinions makes me a Nazi, the Hiel Trey!

Your little comment is like me saying "All of the strokes will sit there and push their convoluted gear on you and make you look like a walking CF, just so they can suppor their anti-DIR ways."

Both are stupid and pointless.

Touche' MartiniTime!

Back
Top Bottom