DSS complete singles rig vs. Transpac 2 w/ trek wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermike1989

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been looking at the DSS complete singles rig and the transpac 2 w/ trek wing. Can anyone recommend one or the other based on experiences and pros/cons please. to give you an idea of what kind of diving I'm going to use it for. I'll be taking rescue in september, DM nexdt year, and am applying to 3 military academies w/ hopes of becoming a military diver. I will also be getting into tech diving when I turn 18. When I do I would get a bigger wing w/ more lift but until them I wan't to stick to the singles wing and get use to the BP/W.

I dive with the DSS BP/W and love it. Very innovative for a simple BP/W. You'll need to get a bigger wing anyhow for double, so just go with a single tank wing.

It looks like you are really into diving now, if you are looking into being a military diver, you had better get in shape now. Its not like taking a PADI course.

I've had hopes of going into one of the military academies for a while now. Before I got into diving I wanted to fly, but now I really want to dive. As far as the fitness part I' on two varsity teams for my high school (XC and track) plus the weight training. I'm confident I'll be ready....

divermike1989:
I've been looking at the DSS complete singles rig and the transpac 2 w/ trek wing. Can anyone recommend one or the other based on experiences and pros/cons please. to give you an idea of what kind of diving I'm going to use it for. I'll be taking rescue in september, DM nexdt year, and am applying to 3 military academies w/ hopes of becoming a military diver. I will also be getting into tech diving when I turn 18. When I do I would get a bigger wing w/ more lift but until them I wan't to stick to the singles wing and get use to the BP/W.

I have the DSS steel plate and LCD 30 wing, but haven't tried a transpac or trek wing so I'll let others comment on those.

I've been very happy with the DSS rig. Features I personally like are: 1) it's a basic hogarthian rig (the transpac is not), and the majority of experienced cave/tech divers seem to prefer hogarthian rigs on these boards, 2) it doesn't require an STA (though some people like to use them anyway), 3) you can buy additional weight plates for the DSS rig (effectively making the plate thicker and heavier) if you end up needing the extra weight and don't want it on your belt, and 4) it has slots for independent doubles which come in handy when I travel and sometimes can't get manifolded doubles.

The only thing I'd do different now if I was buying again would be to buy the Torus 26 wing instead of the LCD 30 because I believe donuts offer some advantages over horseshoes and I don't need 30# of lift anyway. Having said that though, I know the LCD 30 is a solid wing from experience, whereas I have not used the Torus 26.

Either will do the job just fine for a single tank. This question gets asked a lot because the Transpac is a very versatile and capable system. I bought one when I first started diving and haven't regreted it, even for large tanks. But for doubles the backplate is more stable.

IF you get into diving to the extent you think you are you will own more than one system anyway. Start with the Transpac now. Later, if reality matches your desires, buy your doubles system.

Keep up the PT. Ain't no such thing as being Too Fit.

I have the DSS SS bp, hogarthian harness, 30 lb wing and the 5 lb weight plates. I love the rig. I have been very impressed with the quality of construction. They rig works very well in the water. Very streamlined. I also use a DUI WT2 weight harness which I would also highly recommend.

I can't comment upon the Dive Rite rig as I haven't used one. Nothing good or bad to say.

divermike1989:

I've put 18-20 dives on a DSS singles rig set up very simplistic. No anything on it. It's a nice rig but didn't really match what I was looking for. To Spartan. I liked the rugged look but not the rugged feel to it if you know what I mean. That's nothing against it's fit and finish either becasue that's first class.

However, in the end, I stuck with my softback BC which offers all the aminities I wanted and fits like a glove.

Now I'm considering a second BC and looking hard at the Trans Pac II - the T300x models. I think they are cool looking and Dive Rite's quality is right up there. Even though I have to add weight pouches and pockets I like the whole idea of the Trans Pac better.

But keep this in mind..... I'm not into Tech of any kind. I'll never have a need for twins either.

LOL..........

I bought the TPII about a year ago and am starting to regret my purchase. I got it in all black and should have gotten it with red trim. What was I thinking. Functionally it gets the job done.

divermike1989:
I've owned and dived both. I sold my TransPac ... I still own my DSS rig. That should tell you something about my preferences.

The two wings could not be more different. The Trek wing is short and wide ... the DSS wing (either the LCD or the Torus) is long and narrow. To my concern, long and narrow performs far better for a singles rig. Personally, I found the Trek to be a bit more "squirrelly" in terms of stability and ease of venting. On the other hand, the Torus wing is the best performing singles wing I've tried so far.

I also prefer a backplate to a softpack harness ... it simply holds the tank more rigidly, and feels more like a part of your body when you move. There's a noticeable difference, both underwater and on those shore dives where you're schlepping gear on your back into and out of the water.

Now, you could always go with the TransPlate instead of the TransPac, but I would still say the DSS offers advantages over the DR ... comparing the two plates. The DSS backplate is about an inch shorter, the corners are more rounded, it's flatter, got a shallower channel, and it's got those wonderful rubber inserts in the tank straps. To the diver that means a more comfortable plate, one that holds your tank closer to your body, and one that won't put undue wear on your (expensive) harness straps.

The only place I'd give the nod to Dive Rite is in the harness. I like the TransPac/TransPlate harness, as well as their integrated weight system. On the other hand, the DSS ProFit is also a quality product ... but although you can put weight pockets on it, the soft webbing does not accommodate them as well as the Dive Rite harness.

All things considered, I'd go with the better performance and comfort offered by the DSS product ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom