What backplates are compatible with the Halcyon Pioneer 27?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadamune

Reaction score
Allo everyone!

First post on Scubaboard, let's see how this goes...

As the title describes, I'm looking for backplates that are compatible with my new Halcyon Pioneer 27. Obviously, the Halcyon DIR harness and backplate are guaranteed to work with my wing, but I wasn't very impressed with Halcyon's backplate construction, nor it's price tag. So, I'm looking for another make that will interface properly with my Pioneer's integrated STA. I dive in the Pacific northwest, mostly in seawater, so stainless backplates are what I need, and given my dislike for 300 series inox (I can't seem to avoid corrosion), I'm looking for a backplate fabricated from 316L. I've investigated Hammerhead's backplate, but I haven't been able to reach anyone about whether it will work for me or not. Does anyone know what backplates might work?

Also, does anyone but Zeagle make a titanium backplate? Lighter than inox with similar strength and impervious to corrosion...I hope more manufacturers will offer backplates in this material.

Thanks for your input.

Sadamune

So long as the hole spacing is 11" or bout 38 cm, on the plate it would fit the wing.

I believe that all plates have this standard spacing so most plates should be compatible. I used to have a hammerhead and diverite plate and they fit my eclipse fine. Oms and oxycheq have similar spacing so they should fit too.

SangP

As for Ti bp... not worth the $ but they are very resistant to corrosion.

HI Sadamune
I'll agree with the posters here. Any of the major manufacturer's plates I have heard of are based on the standard 11 inch hole spacing, which is what the holes in your Pioneer are. You should do well with virtually any plate.

If you balked at the price of the H plate, you might want to look at the price tag of the Ti version first before swearing off an AL plate.

I use a DiveRite steel plate with the Halcyon STA and it works perfectly.

Ray

Wow...people post replies here quickly!

Thanks for the info on spacing. I really do appreciate standards and I feared that each manufacturer's backplate would have a proprietary layout. So, I could just mount my Pioneer on, say, a Hammerhead inox BP, minus STA, without a problem, right? I thought I read somewhere on this board that the built in STA on the Pioneer 27 was an obstruction when using a standard STA. Is this a problem?

As for titanium, I really have no idea what Zeagle sells them for, but I'm not about to go buy one until I'm convinced a lighter BP/wing rig is needed for traveling. Titanium is expensive, but it won't be forever. Someday, industries will figure out how to produce it more economically and then titanium will be everywhere.
As for the virtues of titanium, well, aluminium does corrode and certainly lacks the strength and flexibility of titanium. Also, while not particularly relevent to diving, if someone were to toss a piece of aluminium out the window of the space shuttle while it was cruising in orbit at 27,648 km/h, the aluminium would vaporise upon reentry. I just don't like that. On the other hand, titanium would survive the 1,500 °C reentry and make a nice little crater/splash somewhere, and hopefully, someone would find it later and put it to use. Call me odd, but I really like equipment that can do that.

Sadamune

Sadamune,

U are odd LOL! Would you happen to be doing reentry dives? Sides most things including yourself would vaporise in reentry so it's a moot point.

The only real advantage to using ti as a backplate is corrosion resistance. Metal fatigue, overall strength and weight isn't important as you are only carrying a couple of tanks on your back, how strong does a bp need to be?

As for the sta being a problem... what problem? If it obstructs, don't use the sta provided by hammerhead and if it doesn't just use it? I don't see the point of your sta-less design question?

You really want something exotic, get a carbon fiber plate.

SangP

SangP,

Well, I've always wanted to do an atmo-reentry dive, you know, starting from orbit and ending up on the bottom of the abyssal plain, but I'm still looking for a dive class that teaches that. Hmmm, maybe GUE offers a class...

As for the STA question, I just wanted to try diving the Pioneer 27 using its integrated STA and was concerned about whether I could do this with a non-Halcyon BP. As people have mentioned that all BPs are more or less standardised, I'll probably just go with a Hammerhead II based DIR harness.

Sadamune

Sadamune:
SangP,

Well, I've always wanted to do an atmo-reentry dive, you know, starting from orbit and ending up on the bottom of the abyssal plain, but I'm still looking for a dive class that teaches that. Hmmm, maybe GUE offers a class...
Sadamune

Good luck in your quest LOL! First you gotta get Nasa or the russians to let you do it and if you are willing to spend 6 mil LOL!

Sadamune:
As for the STA question, I just wanted to try diving the Pioneer 27 using its integrated STA and was concerned about whether I could do this with a non-Halcyon BP. As people have mentioned that all BPs are more or less standardised, I'll probably just go with a Hammerhead II based DIR harness.

Sadamune

The Hammerhead is great choice for a first time bc as it's the most cost effective plate available but you'll need to get a soft crouch strap cus they only have the stiff strap.

If you really don't need an ss plate I would recommend getting an alu plate instead and hard anodize it at a alu fabrication shop.

Cheers,

SangP

I am using the titled set-up for one of my rigs (wing is a 36# for cold water) and they work perfectly. I do use a STA even though you don't have to, as it just takes weight off my belt.

I also have a Dive Rite SS plate that lines up as well (standard spacing as other have said), but I do like the handle cut-outs that are available for the Hammerhead.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom