Doing the backplate - Zeagle Ranger 2 step

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What did you not like about the backplate compared to the Ranger?

Tommy

What did you not like about the backplate compared to the Ranger?

I often hear people complain about back inflate vs. non-back inflate/jacket style, but since these are both back-inflate systems what did you not like? Lack of pockets?

I once new someone who had traded in his old clunker car for a Honda Civic. He loudly proclaimed "Honda & Toyota build great cars, everything else is junk".

No telling what I was driving at the time, but it was not one of the two pure brands. He could have even said that everything else was unsafe junk. How about, this world would be a lot better if everyone drove only Hondas & Toyotas. Finally, he could refuse to associate with anyone that did not drive a Honda or Toyota.

What does it matter why? I was curious why someone wouldn't like a backplate (other than people I have heard from already). Do you have any experience with bp vs. non-bp?

You can look for my posts on this, but I will save you the trouble. Some of my friends are cave divers who also use their BP's for warm water recreational diving. I was so taken by the looks of the BP that I decided to try one. Over labor day I rented a Halcyon SS BP & old style 36# pioneer with STA.

It was my first try at back bouyancy & I liked that. Clean front, I liked that. Wing was nasty, the old style pioneer is too high and hit my head. The new ones are supposed to be better, but it was a real distraction. Even though broken in from prior rental use, the stiff straps did bind under my arms. That was the killer. After 12 dives I had sore armpits. Not for me. I also noticed that in fresh water that I was over weighted from the BP/STA alone. That was with no lead. Easy problem to solve, just get two BP's. When I switched from a 3/2 shorty to the shorty under a 3 mil full, the thing was out of adjustment. No problem, just fool around with it for another 6 dives because in water adjustments are not possible, or get a third BP. In a recent speech George Irvine said he had 4 of them. Not for me.

If you like your BP that is fine, enjoy it. The point is we are all different. There are different points of view. No one gear config is going to be right for all divers. Someone liked a Ranger more than a BP. It is not earthshaking. That is why this forum is here.

Just curious what your reasons were...what did you switch to?

I was asking as most of the problems I hear from people are from not having them set up very well.

I have worn mine the same config in a 5mmsuit with 3mmvest and no suit at all, no problems.

I know if I had just bought a few hundred bucks worth of gear and was selling it because I did not like it, someone offering some tips on proper usage would be welcome.

Tommy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom