Really tall - can I make a BP fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
I've asked this question in a couple of PMs and gotten a couple of decidedly different responses, so I thought I would open it up to the group.

I'm pretty tall: 6"8. I would very much like to go to a BP, but I am wondering if I can get one that will fit.

Can I still properly position the BP on my back AND have the waist strap where it is supposed to be positioned?

If I can't make the BP work, I'm looking at a Transpac II. The XXL seems like it will definitely fit someone of my stature.

Any and all feedback is appreciated...and no height jokes...unless they are original AND funny.

Thx,
Matthew

Hi Matt,

I would think you can make it work. I'm almost 6'6"/260 lbs., so we are not that far apart in size. I have a FredT "full size" (vs. short) SS BP that I've used for about 15 dives now and it works well. I am somewhat short-torsoed though......but as Fred says, he does "custom" dive gear, so he could probably make you one to fit if the full size model is too short.

Perhaps one of these days I can make it up to Cape Ann together with you and some of the other "Lobstah Divahs" and you can try my BP on for size....or we could get together sometime here in greater Boston.

-Chris

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Kong.... just out of curiosity... who gave you the straight scoop in the PMs?

Well now...my dear old Uncle...if I knew the answer to that question, I wouldn't have had to start this thread, would I?

Gettin' kind of batty in your autumn years aren't ya? :wink:

In all seriousness, I talked to a LDS who also happens to be a distributor of Halcyon who said that there shouldn't be a problem. Given that you're not trying to sell me anything, I tend to give a little more weight to your opinion, but I just wanted to get a broader point of view from the group.

Matt

large_diver once bubbled...
Perhaps one of these days I can make it up to Cape Ann together with you and some of the other "Lobstah Divahs" and you can try my BP on for size....or we could get together sometime here in greater Boston.B]

You really should come out with the group. They're a great bunch of guys and, reading a lot of your posts here, I know there is a lot we can learn from you. I would love to hear the reeeeeeealy detailed version of DIRf sometime.

Matt

I know I would love to see some bp's in action. I have one on the way and am going to order the wings to go with it shortly. I am thinking that I can get it pretty straightened out with some searching on the board and some of the GIR/GUE websites but will want to eventually get with someone who can help make final adjustments.

Matt,

Not sure that I have much to teach anyone, since I am a relative newbie ;-)......but if nothing else I can tell you plenty about DIRF.

I can probably make it up there for a weeknight dive with some advance notice. I'll keep my eyes open for posts about upcoming get togethers.

-Chris

What is wrong with a Transpac ll, other than it won't get you into the DIR club?

Back
Top Bottom