Comments on Dacor HUB BC system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi.

I'm a novice. Bought most of the diving equipment except for the BC and reg. While researching, came across the Dacor HUB bc system. There isn't a lot of info I could find.

In this system, if the BC got damaged, can the reg/octo be taken apart separately and still be used on another BC? Or is the whole thing "integrated"?

Also can you give other comments and advise on the HUB system.

Thanks a lot

In my humble opinion, I feel it would serve the diver better to go with a unit that should any component part fail to operate, a replacement part could be incorporated and allow the diver to continue the dive.

And to quote the immortal Forrest Gump, "That's all I got to say 'bout that.".

the K

Torontonian, a forum search will get a lot of discussion on that rig.

The summarry may be on the order of "it's a solution in search of a problem"," it's overly complicated" and "just say no".

Pete

From Sport DIVER magazine:

"** PRESS RELEASE **

Dacor Corp. has announced the launch of a comprehensive promotion aimed at its revolutionary new diving system, H.U.B. (Human Underwater Breathing). H.U.B. is a fully integrated design that incorporates all components of life support equipment into a compact design that makes the diving experience better. H.U.B. offers simplicity and convenience in traveling, easy dive preparation, more precise buoyancy control, and a better fit for balance and comfort in the water.

The core of the H.U.B. is a rugged and ergonomic backpack that is the frame for orienting all other components. The comfortably contoured unit comes in four sizes to insure the best fit, and balance in all swimming positions, and comfort as divers swim with less drag. Incorporated into the backpack is a Viper America regulator, which has a telescoping first stage attachment that stores quickly and safely. Just pull it out and attach it to the tank valve and experience the pleasure of this easy breathing regulator with a lightweight second stage that is more comfortable and less fatiguing. The buoyancy control component of the H.U.B. is uniquely designed offering true inflation and deflation control. More precise adjustment is possible with this innovative design, for perfect buoyancy in any position in the water. Additionally, the location of the inflate/deflate mechanism is located on the lower left side of the diver, where it should be for instinctive and convenient access. Octopus and instrumentation features are both located in easy to access storage pockets, where the hoses are coiled out of the way and are available on demand by the diver. The overall component orientation results in a streamlined single unit that has none of the disadvantages of conventional diving systems with dragging hoses to get caught or slow the down the diver’s movements.

The H.U.B. is especially convenient when planning and packing for a dive. One integrated system virtually eliminates the need for an extensive gear checklist, and it folds up and packs for traveling into a package that is small enough to take on a plane as carry-on. Once on location, just grab the H.U.B. by its convenient carry handle and jump on the dive boat. Dive preparation time is considerably less, and as others are still lying out their gear, you will be dressed and ready to enter the water.

The H.U.B. is such a technological breakthrough, that Dacor is offering all divers the opportunity to Test Dive it at their local Authorized Dacor retail dive shop, so they can see for themselves the true benefits of H.U.B. Dive instructors and Dacor staff at all participating dealers will provide scheduled demonstrations with instruction on H.U.B. usage. According to Rob Cairns, Vice President of Sales & Marketing for Dacor, ''We feel that H.U.B. is so revolutionary that we want every diver to see how it can increase the enjoyment of diving''. All divers interested in the free H.U.B. test dive can contact their local Authorized Dacor retail dealer for specific dates, and locations. Divers should also ask their Dacor dealers about the special limited time offer on the Dacor H.U.B."

After you cut away all the "stuff", there's just a regulator set AND "the core of the H.U.B. [which] is a rugged and ergonomic backpack that is the frame for orienting all other components."

in My opinion, The Dacor HUB BC is the 'most likely next product' for Mares/Dacor to quit making parts for.

check out this thread on it. Lots of negative comments.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=1214

For the money, you can find a much better designed peice of gear.

Edit: Vendors I've seen have had a hard time selling them. Divers Direct had 'racks' of them in their clearance tent last 4th of July. they were marked down to something like $299 or $399 to get rid of them.

I think (and I'm sure I'll be on the receiving end of a flame thrower for this) that most of the divers that ever bought the "HUB" just wanted to look like Space Man Spiff.

It's new, it's avant garde, and it's expensive . . . equates to "It's new, I look cooler than you, I have more discretionary income than you."

the K

The Kraken:
I think (and I'm sure I'll be on the receiving end of a flame thrower for this) that most of the divers that ever bought the "HUB" just wanted to look like Space Man Spiff.

It's new, it's avant garde, and it's expensive . . . equates to "It's new, I look cooler than you, I have more discretionary income than you."

the K

Are you trying to say eurotrash? Because if you are Mister...............(smily face thingy)

No, I'm just saying conspicuous consumerism/consumption . . . "that smiley face thingy"

real smiley face thingy - - - - > :D

the k

It's totally uncool to use a HUB. A rule 6 violation fo'shilzzle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom