Review of Scubapro Superhawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgangi

Contributor
Reaction score
I know the Scubapro Superhawk isn't a "new" BC, but I just purchased a 2001 model and wanted to share my first real-world experience with it.

Before all of you backplate/wing fanatics jump on me, let me start by saying that I am a recreational diver...not a tech diver. I know the Superhawk is considered a "tech BC" (whatever that means), something many of you backplate/wing owners seem to loathe, but for a diver like me who will not do cave diving, this BC seems to be exactly what I need. My biggest adventure may be a ship sunk intentionally for divers.

Anway, back to my experience with the BC. I just got back from a week long trip to Cozumel. Prior to that trip, my only experience with the BC was in my pool. So after 15 dives with the BC, I figured I have enough of an impression to post my thoughts...

For starters, I always thought Scubapro BC's were top notch in terms of build quality. My wife has a Scubapro Ladyhawk and we have been *really* impressed with how well that BC is put together. Having a solid plastic back plate, it doesn't pack light, but the extra space and weight is definitely worth the added stability.

The Superhawk (and newer model Nighthawk) are no different. They have a solid plastic back plate. They also seem to have very high quality materials throughout.

Under the water, the Superhawk was very stable. It seemed to float me in a perfectly trimmed position (rotationally). The bladder has most of its air around the waist, so when I have to add air to compensate for the tank weight, my body still floats pretty flat.

In a current the BC did not seem to cause any drag. I kept all of my items tucked in to my body (computer and octo), so that helped. The bladder is fairly streamlined and tucked in when deflated and there isn't much else on the BC to get in the way.

This is a very comfortable BC -- fits me like a glove. The backplate has some nice padding so it is unnoticeable. And the straps and cummerbund are also nicely padded. The materials are very high quality. And being a back-floater BC, there isn't a lot of material on your shoulders/hips to get in the way (I hate jacket-style BCs because they seem so bulky under water).

The ergonomics of the BC are also great. I like the right shoulder dump (easy to locate) and the location of the pockets/weights. Getting my folding snorkel into the pocket was not that hard. There are also 6 d-rings to hook your gear to. My only compliant is that the 2 d-rings on the waist could be moved forward a little more.

Lastly, to my surprise, the tank strap turned out to be a marvel of engineering. I always was suspect of the Scubapro tank straps (they have a funky metal clamp as opposed to the "traditional" plastic/velcro jobbies on other BCs). My wife never complained about the tank strap on her Scubapro, but I never had much experience with it. All I can say is that, once adjusted properly, the Scubapro tank strap is a *cinch* to work. And it is always adjusted properly so it holds tightly every time -- no need to wonder if your tank is on tight enough. Very nice.

Anway, if you can't tell, I am very happy with my purchase. This is a BC that I will be using for quite a long time...

Thx...Doug

In a review of many BC's Diver Magazine www.divernet.com said they liked the Superhawk best, although it had the highest price of anything tested, 500 pounds, or about $775. IMO the Nighthawk is a completely different design from the Supperhawk.

leadweight once bubbled...
In a review of many BC's Diver Magazine www.divernet.com said they liked the Superhawk best, although it had the highest price of anything tested, 500 pounds, or about $775. IMO the Nighthawk is a completely different design from the Supperhawk.

You're right. The "Supperhawk" is designed for all-you-can-eat restaurants. :D

leadweight once bubbled...

I read that review before buying my BC. And I saw that steep price tag. But here's the best part -- I paid only $225 for mine from Leisure Pro...brand new. :)

I guess I was in the right place at the right time...

Thx...Doug

dgangi once bubbled...

Before all of you backplate/wing fanatics jump on me, let me start by saying that I am a recreational diver...not a tech diver. .....

No jumping on you. But don't assume that backplates and wings are for tech divers only. Rec divers that actually try them love 'em.

I couldn't agree with you more doug, I've been using my Superhawk since my checkout 2 yrs ago and still is my favorite BCD!

Do you have any idea if its possible to put twin tanks on a SuperHawk?

Thanks in advance! :)

Nielc

Back
Top Bottom