BCD/BP for 6'5" diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghostdiver

Reaction score
Because I have grown weary of poorly fitting rental jacket style BCDs I have been looking into purchasing a BCD/Backplate/Tech BC. What I am wondering is if a standard backplate would work for someone who is 6'5" and 220? Are there any particular BCDs people would recommend someone of my height/size look into as an alternative to a backplate?

King Kong Matt went through this issue recently, perhaps he'll chime in and report on what he ended up doing.

This is the thread that he started.

I know there are 'tall' options on some backplates [I think FredT has one]; as well as FredT offering to custom cut one if you know exactly what size you're looking for.

Take a look at a Transpac II. Diverite makes a XXL size for big/tall guys. It is also possible to order a Zeagle Ranger with custom fit where extra long shoulder straps would be mated to a harness to fit your girth.

Just for a reference point: I'm 6'4" and use a standard FredT BP. If you decide on BP/wing, then it would just be a matter of rigging the harness to fit you. You'd get an exact fit, without relying on the vagaries of sizing from manufacturers.

I've never tried the Transpac or the Ranger, but I have had similar experiences with poorly fitting rental equip. In the water the BP/wing feels as though it isn't there.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

I use a standard backplate/wings and I'm 6'3"/200 lbs. Works great, nothing feels ill fitting or uncomfortable.

I am 6'4" tall and I have no problem with a standard BP/wings and I never found a jacket BC that felt comfortable. You might consider a FredT though. I have a dive rite .
joens

A couple folks had asked for a longer/wider plate. 2" Longer to better fit a longer torso is no sweat. The plate design for that one is complete and ready to cut.

A wider plate means you have to trade off the ability to use the Halcyon storage pack, although there is no real problem in coming up with a DIY pack if you want one.

BTW Cost difference between "standard" and "XXLong" is only about $10/ plate.

FT

Thanks for the comments everyone. I tracked down an LDS (not really local to me as it is a hike out to the suburbs (we need more urban divers)) that carries Halcyon products so I can try one on for fit. I understand that for good fit the top of the BP should hit about the second vertibre and that you should be able to reach over your shoulder and just touch the BP, but where should the hip strap hit you? And are there other things that I should look for to indicate a good fit (the LDS is a new Halcyon dealer so I am not sure how up on the products they will be). They also carry SeaQuest so I can try the balance as well as OMS for their BCD. I am dubious of a standard BP working because most of my height is in my torso (great for buying off the rack pants:), not so good for shirts:( ). I may have to take FredT up on his offer for a custom BP.

Hey there -

Looks like I came a bit late to the party.

Anyway, I got my Halcyon SS BP from a 6'4" diver who used it for years.

He was moving on to a DiveRite TransPack. He claims that the TransPack is more comfortable.

Just so you know.

Peter Doege

Ghost,

I am 6'5" and use a full size FredT backplate. Fred's standard sizes are "full size" and "short". As he mentions above, he also does custom work. The full size plate works for me, although I am somewhat short-torsoed.

Trying one on for size at your LDS makes sense. If you do this, if at all possible, bring along your regular exposure suit and have it on when you try on the plate/harness. If not, wear something that approximates the thickness of your suit (coat, etc.).

When I have my suit and harness on, the harness belt is higher on my body than a normal “dryland” belt and also slightly higher than my weight belt (on my hips). This works for me, since it helps me avoid confusing my harness belt for my weight belt underwater. As a result, it may be worthwhile to bring your weight belt along to try on with the BP. FWIW, I wear my weight belt under my harness.

As for BP length, the length of the plate will determine the position of the harness belt in relation to your body. The longer the plate, the lower the belt will be, since it is threaded through slots in the bottom corners of the plate (see attached file for picture of FredT plate).

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

-LD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom