transpac weight int question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RAN

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

i'm considering a transpac with rec wing as a bc..I dive warm water w/singles and usally wear 8-10 lbs with a 3mm suit...
question is are the wiight pockets sold in pairs and worn on each hip
or is the system intended for just one weight pocket,if so has any body felt any trim or balance issues
Thanx in advance

Welcome to the boards!

My first BC was a Trans-pac II with Rec wings. I bought it with the weight integrated pockets. I thought I would like them. I didn't!! A belt is more comfortable and easier for me, and for the boat crew. Since then I have switched to a BP and wings. I like this set up a lot better.

for any Dive-Rite accessories check out their website. If you are ordering a Trans-pac II check out all the options first!!

http://www.dive-rite.com/

Thanx Tavi
actually I am interested in the travel wings
were you happy with the bc when you went weight belt
and it still seems unclear to me even from the manual whether or not
you attach two weight pockets or just one
perhaps you can clarify that
cheers!

RAN once bubbled...
Thanx Tavi
cheers!

Hi Ran!!

The Transpac weight integration system comes as a set. First the weight pockets with the velcro bottom and the top with the zipper for easy weight loading. There are 2 internal pouches available for weight to be loaded into them. One is a yellow pocket with velcro intended for block style lead, and the other is a green pouch with a zipper and a smaller opening for lead shot.

The beauty of the weight system is it can be mounted anywhere along the waist strap this will allow you to adjust some of your trim!!

The Rec wing is a nice wing but in my opinion way to large for the diving you are doing!! Just go with travel wing it is small 30 lbs of lift and effective :wink: If you were considering the rec wing because it is good for doubles or singles someone has mislead you.

Now for the nitty gritty!! The transpac is a fabulous fitting modular bouyancy system I have 400 dives or so on it including pretty fish and coral dives to 300 foot deep trimix dives with 2 stages. Yes it can be used for anything but alot of us migrate to the backplate and wings and is what I use for all of my Great Lakes Diving!! The mighty transpac has been down graded to a travel bcd in warm water and I enjoy it immensly.

If you have any more questions about the Transpac ask I will be glad to answer!

Len

The weight pockets for a TPII come in pairs. One goes on each side. For tropical diving, they might be larger than what you need. With only 8-10# you might want to consider just buying a Dive Rite Clip pocket (about $25). Attach it to the top tank strap and insert up to 5#. That takes some weight off your belt and gives the same sort of trim as a stainless steel BP. For example, I use 4# in a Halcyon trim pocket on the top tank band, 3# in a Halcyon trim pocket on the buckle side and another 3# directly on the belt on the left side. This gives me 3# that I can dump fast, and another 3# that could be dumped at the surface without any help. This gives me a custom tropical integrated weight system that holds up to 15 (possibly 16) pounds.

The main reason that I mentioned the Clip pocket is that the Halcyon trim pockets now sell for a steep $46 per pair. Last year I was lucky enough to get them for $21. With the Clip pocket it would be 4# on the top tank band and a minimal 6# on a belt.

Most dive guides now insist that integrated weights on the BC when they lift it not total over 8#. I take out the 4# on the top tank band to satisfy that. It does make tank setup easier also. With the weight belt, you could leave the weight on the tank band for this purpose.

RAN once bubbled...
Thanx Tavi
cheers!

Yes I like the BC a lot, it's just that now I like a Backplate with wings better!!

looks like Len has answered your other question.

If you can, Try it in the pool before you buy!!

I tried different stuff, (BC's, regs) in the pool for weeks, before I made my decisions.

best of luck,

Leadweight,

You say --> "Most dive guides now insist that integrated weights on the BC when they lift it not total over 8#. I take out the 4# on the top tank band to satisfy that. It does make tank setup easier also"

I've never heard of this before, and have not had any complaints from the boat crews. I wear a TPII, with integrated weights as well as 2x4# trim weights. Total is 28#'s. I dive wet, with a 7mm and steel single HP100.

I found that this is much more comforatable than wearing a weight belt with the TPII; more streamlined, nothing to get loose and fall off, and still easy to ditch if ever needed. But, the BC is pretty heavy. I do not use the yellow weight pocket inserts, but will probably add them, just to make it easier and more convienient to remove and carry weights.

The weight limit that I am talking about is only when the dive guides are moving/lifting the BC for you. When you are moving the BC around (on the boat or in the water) they don't care.

I have encountered the 8# limit at two places in the last 7 months. Little Cayman Beach Resort and Coco View. The dive guides have to drag a lot of BC's around so they decided that their backs would last a lot longer if they made the divers take the weight pockets out of their BC's when the dive guides are lifting them.

You must be a big guy RickyD. If I had 28# and a steel 100, it would be a very quick trip to the bottom, even in a 7 mil.

By the way, what are using for trim pockets?

Gentleman thank you all

my questions have been answered
I meant to say travel wing 30 lbs is plenty for my application.
I am tempted by the backplate set up but feel I need more dives under my belt..12 with a week in Belize coming...
Also as much as I would like to eventuallly explore more technical diving
I am trying to be realistic about it...A good/light travel BC is good for now.
I most definately will try before I buy..for fit and for a skills refresher
thanx again!

Back
Top Bottom