BP/W Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guinsu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from a trip to the Bahamas where I was doing some shore diving with friends. We were all complaining about both the awkwardness of getting into the water with our heavy gear and then the drag of swimming through the surf to get out to the reef.

I had been reading up on backplates and wings and knew I would take the plunge eventually but this really did it for me. Most of my diving (so far) falls into 2 categories, warm water diving in a 3mm wet suit or less (just a bathing suit in the summer) and training dives at the local quarry in a 7mm suit. I use 10-12lbs of weight for the former, 20 for the later. Usually end up with rented AL80s though the Bahamas friends are going to look into smaller tanks since we only dove to 25'. I enjoy the little wreck diving I have done, but my future wreck diving plans would still fall under recreational and not technical diving.

I had been looking at the OxyCheq Mach V Signature 30lb, I thought it would be rugged enough to use near wrecks or rocky shores and enough lift for both the cold and warm stuff I do, plus I would get to skip on the STA. I'm just confused on what to do about the backplate/harness/weight issue. I usually fly to my destination (except the quarry) so would an AL plate make more sense? As for harness, smaller is better. I'm also curious where I could clip my light and knife onto.

I'd appreciate any help.

This is the best decision you have ever made. As far as weighting is concerned, an aluminum plate is good because it is easy to fly with, but I still prefer a stainless steel plate when I dive because I don't like carrying as much weight and it cuts down on that. That wing would have plenty of lift for the diving you would be doing. I would also recommend looking at Deep Sea Supply however, they have alternatives to the STA as well. Where do you clip your light and knife now? There will be chest and waist D rings where you can clip your different utilities.

David

i jsut returned from the tropics and was dived in a bpw there for the first time... and loved it!

i had a SS plate and didnt need any weight at all

the plate did cut into my back on the first dive, but i adjusted the straps from my 5mm to my tropics aeorskin suit and the problem was sorted out

my harness has a number of d-rings to clip my torch

cheers and enjoy

I just got back from a trip to the Bahamas where I was doing some shore diving with friends. We were all complaining about both the awkwardness of getting into the water with our heavy gear and then the drag of swimming through the surf to get out to the reef.

I had been reading up on backplates and wings and knew I would take the plunge eventually but this really did it for me. Most of my diving (so far) falls into 2 categories, warm water diving in a 3mm wet suit or less (just a bathing suit in the summer) and training dives at the local quarry in a 7mm suit. I use 10-12lbs of weight for the former, 20 for the later. Usually end up with rented AL80s though the Bahamas friends are going to look into smaller tanks since we only dove to 25'. I enjoy the little wreck diving I have done, but my future wreck diving plans would still fall under recreational and not technical diving.

I had been looking at the OxyCheq Mach V Signature 30lb, I thought it would be rugged enough to use near wrecks or rocky shores and enough lift for both the cold and warm stuff I do, plus I would get to skip on the STA. I'm just confused on what to do about the backplate/harness/weight issue. I usually fly to my destination (except the quarry) so would an AL plate make more sense? As for harness, smaller is better. I'm also curious where I could clip my light and knife onto.

I'd appreciate any help.

For Tropical diving with buoyant al 80's you will typically need about 6-8 lbs of total ballast. You are using more now because your current BC is likely positively buoyant by 2-4 lbs.

A SS Back Plate and harness is about -6, and your reg is about -2. Many people find that they can dive in tropical conditions with only a SS backplate and harness as ballast with al 80's.

In your cold water application there is no doubt that you will benefit from the ballast provided by a SS plate.

I'd suggest a Hogarthian Harness, simple and inexpensive. A knife mounts on the waist belt, and you can clip off lights to the chest drings.

Without knowing more about your current cold water rig I can't say if you need a 30 lbs wing or could use something smaller. You certainly don't need a 30 lbs wing for your warm water use.

Tobin

I use a 6 lb plate (homemade, 1/4" aluminum w/ lead trim weights) which is heavy when diving warm FW (I can swim it up) but good for all SW and cooler FW. Having 4 extra pounds of room in my luggage would be nice but is just not that big of a deal. I have no trouble traveling with everything I need in 2 two bags that come in well under weight allowances.

Me too, me too! :D

Warm water diving with my BP/W means no weight, great trim with the weight all on my back, and wide open chest (just those two little shoulder straps).

I have the Oxycheq 30# for singles and it's be bumped and tossed against rocks and coral and is no worse for the wear.

I just messed around with the buoyancy calculator for a few different rigs, AL80s in warm water with 3mm suit (I guessed 6lbs lift) and just a bathing suit with zero. I ended up 3-6lbs negative at 3m even with an aluminum plate with just a bathing suit and right around 0 with a 3mm suit. Lift is between 14-18lbs.

For a cold water rig I come out needing about 22lbs of lift. I don't really have much of a rig per se, just 2 lights for night diving. I guess if I get more into wrecks I would need a reel and other things, plus I could need extra lift when I do the rescue diver course. At the moment I haven't tried underwater photography but that could also add negative lift if I did. So it seems as a general purpose setup a 30 would be more practical and 18-20 would be ideal for tropical reef diving though perhaps not wreck diving.

Is it a problem to be that heavy in a tropical setting? If I end up somewhere with steel tanks would being that much more heavy be bad? Thanks for all the advice so far, it has been a huge help.

Well from doing more reading in this forum and the tank forum I'll probably be going with SS plate and a #30, just to make sure I can do cold weather, plus it isn't much bigger than the 18 from what I have read. Would the Oxycheq wings fit on any other companies backplate?

Guinsu, this is truly a great decision, one that you won't regret. I follow the same path recently and haven't looked back.

I also have the Oxy 30# and must say it is a fantastic, streamlined wing. It will fit on almost all plates that I am aware of. I am using mine on an OMS plate for example.

Another good thing is that you do not have to use an STA with this wing... the newer version has built in stabiliser rods to prevent tank roll. Yes, they really do work and I dive mine without an STA.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

The good thing about a dive vacation in the Caribbean is you really don't need fancy clothes. I fit everything I need, including clothes, most dive gear and my SS BP/W in one piece of luggage that usually weighs 49.9 pounds. No problem!:eyebrow:

A man really only needs a few pairs of shorts, two bathing suits, t-shirts both nice and raggy, undies, and one pair of flip flops. The one pair of pants I bring I wear on the plane with my hat, sunglasses, and sneakers. No tux required in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Bonaire, Cayman, Puerto Rico...it's not Europe. If the restaurants you dine at require pants and a tie then you aren't going to the right places to eat. Get away from the cruise ship dock and have some real food. Real cheap and excellent food that is.:wink:

Now a woman....all bets may be off but my wife is starting to figure out that she needs less than she thinks she needs on vacation. She brings fewer shoes and I leave the laptop at home. Even trade.:D

The rest, like my camera gear, reg set, computer, and personal items go in a large back pack carry on. No problem!

As for weight, who needs it with the 6 pound ss plate. If I am using extra neoprene when it drops into the seventies then I might add a couple of one pounders in each of my xs scuba cam band pockets. The only problem this creates is when a newer diver on a boat asks me why I don't have ditch able weight and tells me that I'm not a safe diver.:blinking: Solution? Shore dive in Bonaire.:D

Btw, I dive a 30 pound dive rite venture wing and find it to be way more than needed in warm water and more than enough in cold water with my dry suit and a steel 100.

Back
Top Bottom