Dive Rite Transpac II vs. OMS IQ Pack vs. Backplate/Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I recently got my open water certification and have starting researching my own gear (yes, I LOVED it) and have decided to start with the BC simply because the regulator is entirely overwhelming to me.

I have decided that I want a back-inflatable/replaceable wing style BC. It seems like the most customizable, adaptable configuration.

With that said, does anyone see any reason why the Dive Rite Transpac II is better or worse than the OMS IQ Pack? The Transpac is not meant to be used with a backplate, while the OMS IQ can be used either with or without a backplate. Other than that I don't see much of a difference. Plus the Transpac can still do dual cylinder so I don't see the benefit of the backplate (maybe other than reducing weight belt needs?)

Also, what is the benefit of a regular old backplate and harness? It looks like that would be very uncomfortable. At least the Transpac and IQ look a little more plush (particularly the Transpac).

Maybe the backplate system is meant to be built up, piece by piece? Hrmm, any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sam

I just purchased a Zeagle Tech, very similar features as the above. You can also add a mini or regular backplate. The nice thing that I liked is that it came with the weight pockets integrated and accesory pocket. The other bc's require you to add them all. By using this method you know that the pockets won't shift around etc. The Accesory pocket is on top of where the weight pocket is so no need to add something else to the belt. It also has rear removable and ditchable trim weight pockets. My trim is the best with this bc, easy to adjust, no cumberbund which I really hate, quick release shoulders for easy On-Off. I also added the Crotch Saddle which is nice.

You can get it from Scuba toys with full warraty for $439 you tell them that leisure Pro has it for that price. they will price match no questions asked. They will order it for you directly from Zeagle.

The wing can also be swapped out for smaller or larger if you like, but I have no issue diving this 65 lb wing on a single. Almost like the Trek Rec from Dive Rite, except the zeagle has an elastic click that will keep it more streamlined.

features, warranty, durability, price.....can't beat it...

So many choices!

I am slightly scared away by the Zeagle. Not sure I really need 65 lbs of lift! I will probably be diving single cylinder for a year or so. That wing just seems too huge for what I currently need. Of course I do not need to be ultra-streamline either. I am just a basic rec. diver right now. Also I am not sure I am a fan of the ripcord weight system. I would be afraid of the handle getting snagged on something. I guess unless I had a chance to play with it, I shouldn't knock it.

The WTX on the other-hand looks interesting. I will need to see what it has to offer compared to the others (weights, pockets, wings, etc.). Also I found a system by Halcyon... but it seems way too minimalistic. Halcyon Harness

Not sure where you are located and where you dive but Dive Rite does have a series of Demo Days around the country where you can try the gear in the water.

Here's the link: Technical Dive Gear Demo Day and Tryouts: Dive Rite Tech Tour

Whichever brand you choose you will like the flexibility of swapping out components to match the conditions and equipment set up that you are diving.

Good luck with your research and your purchase.

Not sure where you are located and where you dive but Dive Rite does have a series of Demo Days around the country where you can try the gear in the water.

Here's the link: Technical Dive Gear Demo Day and Tryouts: Dive Rite Tech Tour

Whichever brand you choose you will like the flexibility of swapping out components to match the conditions and equipment set up that you are diving.

Good luck with your research and your purchase.

Thanks. I live in Maine, so I could potentially make the CT Demo. That might be a lot of fun actually.

Thanks mate!

...The WTX on the other-hand looks interesting. I will need to see what it has to offer compared to the others (weights, pockets, wings, etc.)...

Both me and my lovely bride uses the system. She likes the weight pockets and I like just a weight belt. We both have 30lb wings (old style Ventures). If I going to replace the wings I'd go with DSS Torus 26

It is an outstanding system.

LOL,

Enjoy the research, its funny because we all look for something in particular. You just have to make your mind on what is right for you. Only you will know when you see it. The research is cool because you will get everyones opinion on why their choice was the best. I also went for weeks on the research and I think I found the right one. Hopefully I won't change my mind in a few years, Its too expensive.

Enjoy,

Sam,
I have no experience with the Dive Rite or OMS soft packs, but I have a Zeagle Tech and 2 BP/W set ups. I use one with my single tank rig and the other for tech stuff. I can honestly tell you that the plates are very comfortable once adjusted properly, and are hardly noticeable. I personally would not use a 65lb wing for a singles rig, and say this from experience with the Zeagle tech. I am a firm believer in the try before you buy if at all possible. You may find that there is a rig that just "fits" and will suit your diving style.
With that, please dive as many different rigs as possible (borrow, rent or test) and then make a decision. I think it will serve you better in the long run.
Safe Dives
Charlie

I do wish I could try more before buying. Unfortunately Maine is not a huge diving state. We have lots and lots of coast, but very chilly water.

I would really like to try the WTX. Seeing it is distributed by Aqua-lung it doesn't look like I would even have the option of buying it online, and if I did it would kill the lifetime warranty. Bummer. If you know of a place that sells them online let me know. I would love to at least price a system out. I believe there is an aqua-lung reseller about two hours south of me. I should give them a call and see what they have.

So why the DSS Torus 26 vs. any other wing out there? A lot of companies make wings and the mounting all seems pretty standard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom