BP users - Weight belt, weight harness or pockets?

Which weight system do you prefer?

• I use a weight belt with my bp/wings

Votes: 81 36.5%
  • I use a weight harness with my bp/wings

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I use weight pockets with my/bc/wings

Votes: 87 39.2%
  • I use a combination or other method

Votes: 37 16.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What I'd like to find out is how you bp/wings users prefer to carry your weight. As far as I can tell, those are the three options and I am curious to see if there is a clear winner in terms of popularity. Reasons would also be appreciated.

I dive 20 with a drysuit and my steel 100. Pull 6 for the plate, that means I need 14 - so I added 7 a side in the Halcyon ACB and I'm good.

I could have gone with a heavier plate and a weighted STA, but I like the peace of mind in being able to ditch weight. My very first dive after being certified, the inflator blew off of my rental BC...rapid (and I do mean rapid) gas loss. I jammed my finger into the hose, ditched my weight and made an ascent.

It sort of scarred me...I like having ditchable weight. I've read about people that don't wear any weight - they have doubles, heavy plates and channel weights... not for me. If I gotta get topside, I want to get lighter.

K

Options not listed include:

P-weights (aka channel weights)
V-weights
steel tanks

For single-tank drysuit diving, I recently acquired a P-weight for use with SS backplate and steel tank. Any extra weight goes into the ACBs.

For doubles, I don't use any extra weight, other than the plate and steel tanks.

I've hated weightbelts since the first time I put one on. Haven't tried a weight harness yet.

with pockets for soft weights for me. Got mine from Idaho Sewing

So I guess mine vote is a weight belt with pockets..:D

Right now I'm using a weight belt with hard weights. Most of my diving is in warmer water and I only need a couple of pounds of extra weight.

Darn these rented fingers! Apologies, Met, I am asking about ditchable weight. I carry my non-ditchable weight in my LFS (lead-filled-skull).

DutchDown wrote...
Darn these rented fingers! Apologies, Met, I am asking about ditchable weight. I carry my non-ditchable weight in my LFS (lead-filled-skull).
:)

In that case, change my "other" vote to "ACB", at least for singles.

No ditchable weight.

WW

Back
Top Bottom