dacor rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squib

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a BC, most likely 2nd hand being that I just bought a new dry suit. Is the Dacor rig over kill if you are primarily a recreational diver? What do people recommend in general? I'm in B.C., mostly cold water diving, and I like the weigh integrated better than a weight belt. I don't mind putting the money up front, just want to make sure I'm not wasting it. THX

squib once bubbled...
Is the Dacor rig over kill if you are primarily a recreational diver?

What do people recommend in general? I'm in B.C., mostly cold water diving, and I like the weigh integrated better than a weight belt.

Answer to first question is yes. There is no reason in the world for the Rig and it's huge lift capacity. It must have been designed by the marketing department.

My recommendation would be to get a Transpac II. Not certain which wing you should get because I do not dive dry. I use their 30# travel wing. It is also available with wings with 40 and 51 pounds of lift for use with either single or dual tanks.

The Rig had issues with weight pockets falling out,don't know about Rigs 2 or 3.It has the advantage of making recreational divers think you're a "tek" diver and making tech divers think you're an idiot .Lotta zeagle and Rig etc.....tec/rec BCs are bulky and have extra "frippery".A basic BC with 30lbs or so of lift and 2 pockets for stuff whether WI or not is just fine even for thick wetsuits and lotsa weight.If you really need all that.Save you about $200 you can put towards a really nice reg.

I have a Dacor Rig, it was my first BC. What a piece of crap. No pockets, it's HUGE, and the weight pockets fall out. I did an uncontrolled accent from 100 feet when I lost a pocket for the second time. On a later dive, I lost it and never found it. I ended up cutting the weight pockets off and using a weight belt.

I just got a backplate and 27lbs wing. What a difference! It's the way to go.

...to the anti-Rig contingent. The Rig II was my first BC, and it did a good job taking me from beginning open water to beginning tek diving. I have a buddy who still dives with a Rig I. Both of us have had problems wiith the velcro, for me that includes losing a pocket inside a wreck. Before I retired mine, I ended up making bungee loops that I'd slide over the cummerbund, essentially trapping the velcro weight-release straps so they couldn't self-ditch.

There have to be tons of decent BCs out there, but I can't comment as I switched to a backplate/harness and would never go back.

Back
Top Bottom