Adding trim weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am setting up my deep outdoors matrix and I am wondering how to add trim weights. I am going to be installing a STA, but will probably get a light wieght model becuase I want it to be a breeze to pack. So what is the best way to add weight to the rear to help keep you stable on the surface? is the 6 lb back plate enough? would a 2 or 5 lbs STA be adequate? Is there any rule of thumb for the amount of weight that you wold want in trim weight?

I haven't bought any tanks yet so at this point just rental AL80's.

The only way to know how much trim weight is enough is to try it. Some divers need more weight on their back, some high up near their head, some need ankle weights. It varies greatly

Actually, I thought the matrix was a softpack harness like a Transpac and it would mount a single tank directly without using a backplate. Anyhow, on my Transpac I have used Halcyon trim weight pockets on the top tank band. Lately, I moved these trim pockets to the waist band to use as a limited capacity integrated weight system at 5 pounds per pouch maximum. Next time I go diving (Sunday, yay) I will try threading a pair of 2 pound weights on my top tank band, tucked down next to the back of the harness.

The Halcyon pockets are now $46. I was lucky and bought them last year for $21 before those so-and-so's realized they could squeeze more for that product. If you like pouches, Zeagle also makes some. I wonder if Deep Outdoors has some product that fits your needs, or if that might even be built into the matrix?

The matirx is very similiar to the TP II, but there it comes with a stainless steel back plate that can be used or removed. DO does offer integrated weight pockets but no trim pockets. I was thinking that threading lead weights on to the cam bands would wor, but i wasn't sure.

I like the Dive Rite belt weight pockets. They hold four pounds each and can be placed anywhere on two in webbing. Although the cost does exceed the Halcyon set as they are sold individually. You may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere though.

Dive Rite Weights

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom