Are backplates really one size fits all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kingprawn

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you using backplates, especially the taller individuals. Are backplates really one size fits all, or am I not fitting it properly? I am 6'6", and have found that very few manufactures design for someone my size.

I recently tried a Halcyon backplate. (I’m not picking on Halcyon, I believe most plates are the same size.) I followed some fitting instructions I found on the web, “top of plate should be even with shoulder blade and you should be able to touch it”. If I do this, the waist band is still around my rib cage, and the crotch strap is about 4 inches short.

If I drop the backplate down a little, the shoulder straps become loose, and start to slip off my shoulders. At this point the waist band is around my stomach. If I pull the waist band down ( way below horizontal ) I can get the crotch strap to reach, barely. At this point I can not touch to top of the plate, the shoulder straps feel loose, and the bottom of the backplate is about 4-5 inches from the base of my back (no lower back support).

So folks, do I need a custom backplate ( about 3 inches longer) or am I fitting this wrong?

FredT makes plates in three sizes, short pattern, long pattern (same as Halcyon), and extra long pattern. Even though I’m only 6 foot I don’t like the where the ACB pockets end up if I adjust the harness so I can reach the tank valve. They are just below my ribcage rather than down on my waist where I want them. So I’ve ordered an extra-long pattern plate from Fred. He also sells harness kits with all of the hardware.

Mike

Andrew Georgitsis is something like 6'-6" or 6'-7". He seems to fit his backplate pretty well. I'm pretty sure he is wearing a Halcyon plate. You can reach him at andrewg@fifthd.com

I'm 6"8 and wear a SS Halcyon - love the thing and it fits like a gem.

I called EE, FifthD, a bunch of LDS' that carry BPs and they all said the same thing - a BP is designed to fit everyone.

The most important thing, in my experience, is that overall height is not a very good indicator. For instance, although I'm pretty tall, most of that height is in my legs, so I simply had to get a longer crotchstrap and I was good to go.

I would have someone who really knows how to fit thee things try to fit it on you and then see where you stand.

My .02

KKM

FWIW -- Andrew is about 6'3" or 6'4". I am 6'5" and he is slightly shorter than me. He just seems larger than life to normal mortal divers like you and me ;-)

I have the FredT long plate. The belt of my harness is slightly above my weight belt..which is actually helpful, since it is harder to get the 2 confused. Very comfortable. I agree with Matt -- it can depend on your body type (I am also somewhat short torsoed w/ long legs).

I would ask Fred to give you the dimensions of his plates -- then compare these to those of the Halcyon. E-mail him at ftagge@goldinc.com. He is very helpful, although sometimes he is traveling and make take a day or 2 to respond.

Good luck.

I'm 6' 3" and long in the torso. I've got both Halcyon and the supersized FredT plate, there is a definite difference.

The Halcyon works, the FredT works better. It's nice having the waist strap closer to my waist than my ribs.

I've had two issues with my FredT plate:
  • I didn't have him finish holes for the webbing. Stainless steel is tough stuff and it took awhile with a dremel and a detail sander to get the edges smoothed down. Next time I'll know better.
  • The bolt holes were too small. I have a set of doubles with Highland Mills bands with bolts that wouldn't fit through the holes. I know someone that has the equipment to widen them, so it wasn't a big problem, but I would have hated to have to try to fix it myself.

Steven

This question got asked in my DIRF class, and we were given the following explanation:

It is possible to find both "long" and "short" versions of backplates. However the instructors gave examples of a woman who was only about 5'2" and a guy that was 6'3" or so both using the same plate.

One of the reasons they gave for using the "standard" length plate was stage bottles.

If you ever plan to get into slinging stage or deco bottles, using a longer (or shorter) backplate, would change the distance between the shoulder d-ring and the waist strap d-ring.

Doing so could impair your ability to properly mount the stage bottle, as the strap wouldnt have the same amount of slack if it had to stretch further. Obviously, you could just lengthen the stage strap, but then you are just adding more things to your dive gear that has to be changed.

Personally, I feel that you should use whatever feels right to you. But I always like to look at different viewpoints and reasonings before I make a decision.

Sure seems to save a lot of "I shoulda done it this way..." later.

The last time I saw AG (January in High Springs) he was quite a bit taller than one of my friends who is 6'-3". When Sonya came to Indy last fall, she said he was about 6'-6" or so when I asked. I kind of take her word for it. All I really know is that he towers over me at 5'-10". Maybe someone like Uncle Pug can verify. And yes, in person he seems even bigger than he really is.

large_diver once bubbled...
FWIW -- Andrew is about 6'3" or 6'4". I am 6'5" and he is slightly shorter than me. He just seems larger than life to normal mortal divers like you and me ;-)

I have the FredT long plate. The belt of my harness is slightly above my weight belt..which is actually helpful, since it is harder to get the 2 confused. Very comfortable. I agree with Matt -- it can depend on your body type (I am also somewhat short torsoed w/ long legs).

I would ask Fred to give you the dimensions of his plates -- then compare these to those of the Halcyon. E-mail him at ftagge@goldinc.com. He is very helpful, although sometimes he is traveling and make take a day or 2 to respond.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom