Custom BC maker or xxxxl bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andyowens

Registered
Reaction score
I am a large guy, 6 2 over 340, and I use a Zeagle Ranger, after extending the belts some, but I recently had a very bad experieince with the bc due to the wings keeping me face down, nearly, in the water in four foot waves for about 20 minutes till the boat found us. It was a near death experience!!

Anyone know of a custom bc maker? I am going to check out the dive rite stuff, but it tounds like that is all wings too.

Andy

Welcome to the board Andy. I see you are from NC as well.
Don't give up on the Ranger too quickly. I don't know how long you have been diving/using the Ranger but they will tend to push you face forward on the surface if you inflate them too much, a common problem with new users. A problem some BP/wing users report as well. This problem shows up a lot in people who trained in jacket style BC's where you tend to pump them full at the surface, then switching to back inflate BC's like the Ranger. You can also add weights to the rear of the BC to improve your trim. If you have one of the older ones that don't have rear trim weight pouches, they are easy to add.

Before getting rid of the Ranger, you might want to visit a pool/quarry and play with it some. Be glad to join you and help if I can if you are close to Raleigh.

In addition, if you find yourself being pushed forward, bring your knees up. This should shift your center of gravity and right you.

You may also consider adding trim weights to the back. Zeagle makes them as an optional accessory.

When a back bouyancy BC is fully inflated at the surface it is more likely to push the diver face forward. The solution is to let out some air, leaving just enough to keep the diver's head above the surface. If using trim weights to stay upright, they should be mounted on the center of the top tank band in order to maximize force in the rearward direction. It may be possible to mount a weight directly on the tank band and avoid purchasing a special weight pouch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom