where do the Octopus and Computer go on Halcyon Pioneer BP/WINGS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Ok got the height and everything ready to go.

Question: What would be the most efficient way to secure the octopus to the right side and where would be the best place to put the huge OCeanic Pro Plus 2 computer ???

I decided not to do the 7"foot and 27" inch DIR setup yet.

I dont think the left hip d-rings is the best position for the Pro Plus 2. I am thinking of crossing it over to my right shoulder harness with an extra d-ring. I also plan to put the octo on the right side shoulder harness

I would proparly need a retractor for the computer. which retrator setup is best ??

p/s: Here i understand why a wrist COmputer would be most efficient but again, i WANTED AI computer for the extra peace of mind for a new diver like me.

Although I dive a 7' hose and a bungee backup for all my diving, that doesn't work well when PADI standards for pool work require a donateable octo when I DM pool sessions. So, I rigged my single tank setup as a DM rig. See pics...

Octo is just a deco reg on a short hose with a bungee loop around the mouthpiece. You can yank the octo out of the bungee loop easy since it is loose, but it doesn't fall out on its own so doesn't display "danglies" to new divers.

All it is is 1/4" bungee and a double ender.. I used a deco reg because I have a blue one and I thought having it a different color than my black rig and black wetsuit would make it easier for students to find...

WOW, thank you so much o-ring. Now what about the big giant ASS OCeanic Pro Plus 2 ??

where would be the best place for it ? and NO !! returning it to the store and getting a brass SPG is not an option :mean:

I figure that i need a retractor for the computer.

Dxtreme once bubbled...

You could always clip it to your left d-ring like it was an SPG [that's what I did with my console for a while]. Either unclip and use, or have it w/ a retractor there.

I did the same as O-Ring, but instead of the bungee I had one of those scumball style octo keepers that then had a bolt snap attached to it. I had it drawn across my chest and clipped to my left d-ring [to keep the hose tighter to myself].

Dxtreme once bubbled...
I dont think the left hip d-rings is the best position for the Pro Plus 2. I am thinking of crossing it over to my right shoulder harness with an extra d-ring.

IMHO crossing over things that clip off is not a good idea. It complicates you getting out of or someone getting you out of your equipment in an emergency.

What I do to prevent my Cobra from banging on the ground before I put the BP&W on is clip it off to the left shoulder d-ring. When I check it at the start of the dive I move it to the left hip d-ring for the dive. At the end of the dive before sitting down on the boat or getting out of the water onto land I clip it back to the left shoulder d-ring.

Dxtreme once bubbled...

IMHO retractors are a crutch. I thought I would never give mine up until I tried simply attaching a snap and clipping it off. It takes a bit of practice but now that I can find it, I'll never go back. The retractor just adds cumbersome clutter.

Mike

O-ring once bubbled...
Although I dive a 7' hose and a bungee backup for all my diving, that doesn't work well when PADI standards for pool work require a donateable octo when I DM pool sessions. So, I rigged my single tank setup as a DM rig. See pics...

Octo is just a deco reg on a short hose with a bungee loop around the mouthpiece. You can yank the octo out of the bungee loop easy since it is loose, but it doesn't fall out on its own so doesn't display "danglies" to new divers.

Shame...shame...shame, O-ring. Donating the reg from your mouth works just fine in a PADI class and is within standards. The instructor may not like it but PADI doesn't care.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Shame...shame...shame, O-ring. Donating the reg from your mouth works just fine in a PADI class and is within standards. The instructor may not like it but PADI doesn't care.
The instructor just told me I had to have a "standard" octo. I won't be helping with classes once I finish, so I guess I can live with it for a while. I agree that this method is FAR less optimal than diving a long hose. I am somewhat surprised that anyone is still teaching octo donation as an OOA strategy..it is fraught with problems.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Mike,

I started PADI DM training this week and we go to the pool tonight. Although I typically dive with a long hose and BP&Ws I’m thinking that I’ll “lay low” and go with the Balance and the traditional octo for the DM training to not complicated the situation.

Although a BP&W and long hose is first choice, I am very comfortable with the more traditional configuration, as that is what I started with. So I don’t think that safety is an issue.

My reasoning is that the Instructors are more likely to have an open mind after I demonstrated good diving skills.

I suppose I could just ask them about there feeling on the subject, they may be open minded from the start, but I’m scared it may be impossible to get that cat back into the bag.

Any advice?

Mike

P.S. I apologize in advance for thread hijacking if applicable.

Back
Top Bottom