weight distribution question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've seen several post recomending splitting weight between the BC and the belt or harness. What is the recomended % split between the two?

Thanks in advance

I've seen several post recomending splitting weight between the BC and the belt or harness. What is the recomended % split between the two?

Thanks in advance

Your weight should be distributed to best provide proper trim in the water. There really is no "recommended split" for what to put where.

Like Ray says, move it around to trim yourself out. Here's what to do...

1 Go someplace underwater.
2 Become horizontal
3 Don't move at all, and see what happens.

If you do a headstand, move weight towards your feet. If you pop a wheelie, move weight towards your head. In my opinion, the more weight you can put over your lungs, the better off you are, but some folks advocate carrying a quantity of ditchable weight that is greater than or equal to the sum of:

1 The weight of the gas contained in your full tank(s) and
2 The loss of positive buoyancy caused by compression of your wetsuit at depth.

Ditchable weight is generally carried near the waist in either a weight integration system or a weight belt.

T hot cutback.

Greetings:
I seem to have a problem getting horizontal. I first had this problem (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...263228-how-high-my-back-should-wing-tank.html). I've kinda solved this problem by fixing the harness and carrying 2lbs in a weight belt.

I went for a couple of dives this weekend, but noticed I can't achieve near horizontal! At about 40ft depth through the dive, I was trying to put my head horizontal and lifting buttocks, as soon as I stopped trying my butt/legs would sink. When trying, I could feel the air in my bladder at the bottom part - felt like 1/2Li on each side.

Instead of an "L" shaped trim, I'm like a "check"-mark ;-)

I know I'm properly weighted to be neutral at 10Ft with an almost empty tank. What else can I move around to make me near horizontal?

Thanks!

Greetings:
I seem to have a problem getting horizontal. I first had this problem (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...263228-how-high-my-back-should-wing-tank.html). I've kinda solved this problem by fixing the harness and carrying 2lbs in a weight belt.

I went for a couple of dives this weekend, but noticed I can't achieve near horizontal! At about 40ft depth through the dive, I was trying to put my head horizontal and lifting buttocks, as soon as I stopped trying my butt/legs would sink. When trying, I could feel the air in my bladder at the bottom part - felt like 1/2Li on each side.

Instead of an "L" shaped trim, I'm like a "check"-mark ;-)

I know I'm properly weighted to be neutral at 10Ft with an almost empty tank. What else can I move around to make me near horizontal?

Thanks!

You also have a fair amount of control over your trim by the degree to which you extend your arms, and how close to your butt you keep your fins. It is extremely useful to have someone who knows what they are doing work with you on it, because everything is based on the assumption that you are not letting your knees dangle and keeping your belly flat (or in my case as flat as is possible). How you are in reality is often a bit different than how you are in your mind, and another set of eyes, or better yet a camcorder can be very beneficial.

From this flat belly, butt clenched position, bending the knees more acutely, or extending your arms in front of you more will move your center of gravity towards your head, and cause you to angle down. Conversely, moving your feet farther away from your butt and/or bringing your arms in closer to your body will shift your center of gravity towards your feet, and cause you to angle up.

Thanks in advance

Not sure what kinda BC you have but as mentioned your overall goal is proper trim. If you have some undumpable pouches on the back of your BC they can be helpful in getting your head lower in the water. If not an ankle weight around the neck of your bottle can have the same effect. Everyone is different sizes and shapes and wear different equipment and use different fin kicks . Experimentation is really the only way.

Thanks in advance

formernuke,

If we get to dive together this season we can experiment with some different configurations to get it nailed down.

H.

@scubakevdm: thank you. Now I get it! That's probably why I see DIR/GUE divers with their arms put forward infront of them. Come to think of it, those guys have their bouyancy to a T. Thay do all those maneuvers and skills demo - without moving up and down the water column. I hope to achieve that one o these days...

Another question: will putting my wing lower or more toward the butt and mounting my single AL80 tank a bit higher get me closer to head heavy? I guess, so, right?

Thanks again....

Scubaboard's a really great place to learn!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom