Your opinions, who makes the best wing for backplate or "Soft BC"?

Who makes the best Wing for a single tank backplate or "Soft BC"?

• Dive Rite

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Halcyon

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • There are other better wings out there, I will specify on this thread

Votes: 16 28.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
I currently dive with a Dive Rite Rec Wings, Halcyon makes those nice Streamlined looking Pioneer wings. Now that I have a FredT backplate I can slap on my Rec Wings, or if I get a Halcyon wing, I can slap that on too.

Which wing do you think is better, and why?

I hate drag, especially in current.

Metal Gear
The Wing is secured to the BP by 10 SS bolts, as oppose to crappy bits of plastic. The wings are compact and sit in close to your body, I am running a 55# dual wing it is loads of lift for twin 100Cft Steels and a couple of 70cft ally Stage bottles.

Info

I am in Love with mine, my wife will not allow it in the bed though :(

DiveRite has the travel wings. Last I checked they didn't have the holes for BP use.

The Halcyon Pioneer series is very nice, I have a 27#.

Anybody else?

I've used dual use wings (DR Trekwings) and they are a big compromise for a single tank.

Peter

I use the Pioneer 27 wing on my singles rig. For now it's about as streamlined as it gets. Scott Koplin is coming out with a new singles wing which I'm sure will be worth checking out.
http://oxycheq.com/

If I were in your shoes I would transfer the rec wing to the new back plate. The Halcyon may be more streamlined but the rec wing is more durable (IMO).

Dont know about best but I am sure fond of my diverite classic wings. 60 lbs lift and bulletproof not much more you could ask for. since I am diving double 125's I need a fair amount of lift and there is always going to be a lot of drag..

Depending on where and what you're diving, I like the Halcyon wings.

For Carribean use, I use a Pioneer 18. Its so small it feels like it doesn't exist.

For New England with steel singles, Pioneer 36. For my LP104 doubles, Explorer 55.

That said, I've never heard a bad thing said about Dive-Rite.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

That said, I've never heard a bad thing said about Dive-Rite.

You've never engaged in a conversation about their lights then. Around here they are known as Massive Leaking System. With that said the rest of their gear seams to be top notch, especially their wings. However they are promoting their deluxe harness aweful hard, you know the one with the plastic backles and chest straps.

Perhaps I should have said that I never heard a bad thing about their wings.

I own a Dive-Rite Wreck I can light that I bought used from a buddy. It works fine. I looked at that MLS; however, it looked like an invitation for issues and I didn't like the size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom