lead wieght mold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluewater1

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase a lead weight mold for casting 1 pound bullet style Belt weights?

Thanks

Aaron Werner

I don't have an answer for you, but make sure you know what is involved before you attempt this. People have been severely injured doing just this kind of thing...not to say that it can't be done and you shouldn't, just that it's dangerous and precautions have to be taken.

If you ask me, it's not worth the money to take on the risk....especially since lead is pretty cheap. What are you going to save, 20-30 dollars?

If you've already considered all this, then please pardon the interruption.

I have not seen one for sale but having some experience with fishing weights, the mold will have to be a split mold with a SS or alum bar insert. My guess, based on the cost of good quality fishing weight molds, is than a mold like you want will cost at least $50-60. It's going to be hard to make up that cost unless you have a use for a lot of them. Exp if you have to buy a gas burner, melting pot and all the rest of the stuff you need to mold lead safely. If you do find one, let us know. I am always interested in sources of molds.

Quantities of cast weights are available at $1.00/pound. PM me for details.

Mold costs including material, contract machining and consumable parts are more like $150 for a simple mold. A production mold pushes $500 really hard.

FT

I got exacly what you are asking about from Global. This was a few years ago. I was searching for years . It molds 3 bullet weights at a time. We got lead from a friend who owns a gas station, we melted down old lead weights that are used to balance tires. We had a old pan and a propane stove. Do it outside, lead is bad stuff. When we were kids we used to melt lead pipes on the kitchen stove when Mom was out.

Forgot to tell you, the mold cost either 30.00 or 50.00. Also the weights came out a little rough but they work. They don't look like the professional dive shop ones. But I have about 4 weight belts so if I loose one I don't worry about it.

Hi,

The easiest way to mold lead is in... a raw potato.
Find a large specimen, cut it in half, carve it and pour melted lead in. THIS IS DANGEROUS, but if you're doing it outside and are being reasonable, it is by all means possible. The rough edges may be finished with a file.
I'm not sure if I'd do it to save money, but why not do it for the sake of doing it yourself :)

Good luck

SAFE DIVING and molding

deep_ocean

If you pour lead into a potato, you are really into extreme sports and extreme risk. The moisture in the potato can and will turn to steam when the 700 degree lead hits it and the steam will blast the lead back into your face. Really really bad idea. If you have gotten away with it so far you are really really lucky

A proper lead mold can be had from Trident for about $25.00.

http://www.tridentdive.com/page142.htm

The one I have (WB55) is simple and can produce weights from 2 to 5 lbs. It is open topped with no inserts to mess with - just place it on a level surface, pour the lead in and let it cool a few minutes. Then turn it over (it has a handle but needs a pot holder as well) and with a couple of taps the weight falls free.

If your lead is hot enough to get a good fill, quality is excellent. If you melt lead do it outside and do it in something you no longer intend to cook in. An old cast iron skillet or an old army mess kit will work (with the mess kit you need to use vice grips as a handle to pour the lead out of it.) A purpose made lead pot can also be found through most guns shops that sell reloading and bullet casting equipment. Aluminum pans are a bad idea as they get soft at about 600 degrees.

Pure lead or plumbers lead form the scrap yard gives slightly heavier weights, but wheels weights work very well and are harder. Many tire shops will give them to you for nothing if you bring your own bucket to take them home in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom