Getting back into diving after 20 years out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akmike907

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm 37 and started to take lessons with a nice openwater dive a few years ago, got busy with work and had to stop classes...so now i'm doing it with the g/f and she's actually having more fun that I am (not that i'm not having a blast, mind you :p) Anyway, as i'm looking at gear, I have a bc question.

When I was first learning (15y/o) a bc was a bc was a bc...but now, is a "stabilizing jacket" the end-all be-all? Is a regular front adjustable ok?

The stabilizing jacket - aka the normal bc is just fine and is what most divers use during classes. It keeps you up and horizontal when on the surface with ease and is used by most instructors when teaching open water classes. It actually makes you a little less stable during the dive as the air pockets are on the sides. This is what 80% or more of the people on the recreational dive boats in the Caribbean will be using.

I'd say that most people on this board tend to like either the back inflate bc like Zeagle makes for example or a backplate and wing (bp/w) which was designed for technical diving but is being used by more and more recreational divers. These will give you better horizontal trim in the water if you are weighted correctly.

Lots of stuff on this board about all types.

If you're not careful, you'll trip over several threads that have discussed the topic of standard jacket BCs vs backplate/wing rigs and back inflate BCs to a mind-numbing length. Start reading now and you might be finished by the time the ice melts next June in Alaska. :D

Here's my blunt opinion; jacket BCs suck. Go with a BP/W set up when the time comes to plunk your money down. If you can take the OW class in one, even better, but that's fairly unusual.

It seems that most people on this site hate Jacket BCDs for some reason. A BP/W design, of back-inflate BCD will push you forward, and put you face down, this can be very uncomfortable on the surface, and underwater at times as well.

When I do use a BC other than my drysuit, I generally for a jacket, they work great.

However if you would like the best of both worlds, Bare has a new BCD on the market that will dive like a back inflate, and on the surface can be like a jacket, it is called the Voodoo I believe.

My BP/W doesnt push me face down on the surface. I think its very comfortable. You will probably get alot of people pushing you to a BP/W but you should get whats right for you. try several on and see if anyone would let you try theirs on!

a back plate and wing isnt right for everyone.

brett

It seems that most people on this site hate Jacket BCDs for some reason. A BP/W design, of back-inflate BCD will push you forward, and put you face down, this can be very uncomfortable on the surface, and underwater at times as well.

When I do use a BC other than my drysuit, I generally for a jacket, they work great.

However if you would like the best of both worlds, Bare has a new BCD on the market that will dive like a back inflate, and on the surface can be like a jacket, it is called the Voodoo I believe.

I've been diving a backplate and wing for the last year or so...and not once, have I ever had any issue with it pushing me forward on the surface.

On the surface, it's actually pretty comfortable...I actually just inflate the wing and lean back like it's my own personal life raft :)

Definitely not saying that a backplate and wing is right for everyone, but they also aren't dangerous or uncomfortable, at least as far as I've seen.

I can't believe there are still people out there telling others that BP/W plant people foreward on the surface That's so 8 years ago.
I thought all the details were already worked out like: use a steel tank for more weight in back, don't overweight yourself so you have to put a ton of air in the wing to keep you floating (and thus the big inflated wing on your back won't pitch you foreward), don't expect a BP/W to raise you up high and dry like a jacket. I don't understand the preoccupation with trying to be a buoy? Chin level is all you need.

Just keep saying it over and over again, maybe someday it will be true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom