Jacket BC or Wing BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcos

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I bought a jacket style BC, but I'm hearing that a Wing style may be better. Especially since I am a very ambitious new diver and already have mulitple wreck dives planned in the Atlantic. Any advice or pros and cons of each style would be appreciated.

OH NO!! Here we go again....??:wacko:

I have dove jackets, back inflates and recently a BP/wing. Each has it's own benefits and which suits you best depends on your personal preferences and needs. The trim and surface floatation characteristics do vary between the differenct types. Jacket types are for the most part, not well suited for double tanks. Some back inflates and all BP/wings (assuming the proper wing is installed)will handle doubles as well as single tanks. If you already own a BC, dive it, get some experience, maybe borrow/rent some different types and see what works best for you.
For what it's worth, of the 3, I prefer a simple, non-techie back inflate.

IMO, a back inflate makes it easier for a diver to trim out properly.

If you are considering going to any sort of tech diving, back inflate will eventually be a requirement. If you choose a system that allows you to change wings, then you have the ability to grow and tailor your equipment to suit your diving.

Even when I was just doing recreational diving, I was much happier with back inflation than I was with a jacket style bc.

The opinions and experiences of others may differ.

I agree with the others here who say there isn't a big difference. From what I've read though, not only is virtually every poster here who has switched from a jacket to BP/wings happy about it, they are usually downright enthusiastic. Without experience with them, I'm anxious to try a set to check them out.

But no need to rue your purchase choice or run out and get another BC right away. Although the BP/wings seem to be very good and probably give a slight edge in making trimming out easier, jacket BCs have been around a long time and are very well developed for comfort and functionality.

FWIW, I have done about 60 dives on a jacket in the space of 4 years and I had no trouble trimming out with it. It is an old Seatec Manta jacket-style and I love it. No weights on it, I use a weight belt with neoprene pockets which place all the weights squarely and securely in the small of my back, and I wear the tank as low as I can get it in the jacket, and I trim out just fine, thank you very much. None of the "problems" trimming I read about here so often.

So, I wouldn't sweat your purchase since it's new. You're fine and will likely enjoy your BC very much. However, if you plan on doing the diving you describe, you probably owe it to yourself to try the BP/wing package, and you may switch over in the future. Northeast Scuba Supply in Norristown is a good place to learn about them. Link here.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com

Good luck!

JPC

I spent a week happily diving my jacket BC helping two people with wings try to get trimmed and weighted properly. The only answer is for you to use what works for you, and IMO it is more a function of the diver than the gear...

but consider this...more and more people are changing FROM jackets TO wings, but not many (any?) the other way round...

R

Back
Top Bottom