Question for Transpac users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weight integrated, w/16#'s lead total
No additional pockets. Don't need 'em.
Secondary Lite at right shoulder d-ring on a bolt snap
Octo on right hip d-ring, using a snorkel keeper
Console on left shoulder d-ring with a retractor
Primary lite, for nite dives, on left hip d-ring with a bolt snap
Trim weights, 4#'s on each side of lower cam band

My wife has this BC, and she has small pockets located at where the metal plate attatches to the waist and sholder strap. The waist strap is use to thread thru the pocket so it is fixed to the metal plate are and can't move back and forth.

She looked at the standard weight pockets but they were two large and we felt that she would never carry 4 pieces of lead, so she got the smaller pockets with a plastic clip that you undo to release weight.

these pockets might be the ones they show as tanks weights but you can use them where you need to, in our case as waist mounted weight pockets, it makes for quite a compact solution to the weight issue.

I think the pockets are either "Clipper Pockets" or tanks weight pockets.

Hi jhspb,
I have had my TPII for a year now and when i first tried to set it up it i had problems trying to get it to fit good and someone from this board gave me some good advice and it has been great ever since.They told me to push the metal plate that joins the waist band and shoulder straps as far back under the wing as possible and at the point where the webbing goes through the plate put a weight retainer(black) so they can't move.This is more important if you have the wieght pockets over the metal plate as this also keeps them in place. This gives a better fit round the shoulders as well and much easier to adjust.
I have the side weight pockets set up as discribed above which are pushed back under the wing(rec) and i also have a clipper pocket attached to the top tank band to help trim me out or to counter balance a pony bottle when i used to use one. I also wear a wieght belt so the total weight is ditrubuted around these three option,i also have a crotch strap over the weight belt.I found putting shot bags in these pockets preferable to blocks as they do not move about as much when you change position underwater.
i also use the dive rite thigh pocket as this can be taken on/off depending what diving i am doing and wether wet/dry suited,the utility pocket is also usefull to stuff a spare mask into and attach.

One thing a couple of user do on this board is attach ankle weight to where the DR trim weights attach on the soft back pack using cable ties but i have not tried this but i am sure some one else will add some more light on that one.
Hope that this was useful and if you have any other question or want photos give us a shout.

Regards,

MAL..

Thanks for the insights so far....

I'm just looking for as many options and opinions as possible right now for lights, whistles, knive and/or seasnips, slate, spg/console (can't make up my mind on wrist mount for computer...but that's another issue), compass, octo secondary air supply...etc .... including what type of connector you're using

I currently do mostly warm water stuff and most recently was diving 4-6# of weight w .5 mil suit....leading me to think about a belt rather than the, IMHO, oversized and in the way integrated TPII solution

I have been using a Transpac II for 4 years. There are a bunch of different pockets available and you can use whatever you find comfortable.

I currently use the weight pockets and Clipper pockets. The weight pockets seem oversized and get in the way if you just slide them on to the belt, but if you position them over the plate where the shoulder straps join the waist, they work fine. Dive Rite recommends this position in their user manual, which is on theor website. The Clipper pockets are smaller than the weight pockets and will hold the variety of whistles, slates, tiny flashlight, etc. that it sounds like you want to carry. The Clipper pockets can also be used as weight pockets if you still think the weight pockets are too large. Just turn them upside down on the belt if you want a quick drop arrangement.

Regarding connectors, I tend to use small stainless steel double enders for anything I want to clip onto a D ring.

That arrangement works for me, but the Transpac is flexible if you are more comfortable with a different set up.

I just dove with my new TPII/Travel Wing for the 1st time this past Sunday... I think I am in love. Really beats the 13-yr old jacket-style BC I had been using.

While I am still playing around with my trim and buoyancy on my new configuration, I am having luck so far with a couple trim pockets on the top tank strap, a couple weight belt pockets on the waist strap, and then wearing a weight belt. I used weight belt retainers to hold the waist pockets as close to the tank as possible. This allows me to really tinker with the weight distribution without having to rethread the straps every single time (great for travel too). I put a minimal amount on the weight belt for ditchable weight.

All of the weight pockets I got are not DR gear... just stuff I found on LP. Here are the links if it helps any:

Zeagle Trim Pockets

Weight belt pockets

I use SS snap bolts to attach everthing (bolts tied to equipment via nylon line). I may add a pocket in the future, but for right now I am happy. I added a seasnip holster onto the waist strap plate.

It sounds like you have a bunch of stuff hanging loose. If so, try getting some rubber bungee cord to hold on to the loose end of stuff you have hanging from snap bolts. It costs next to nothing and you sound like you are happy otherwise.

My waist is too small to accomodate a pocket on the waist belt of my TPII or my harness/BP kit.

I aquasealed a drysuit bellows pocket to the thigh of my wetsuit for warmish water diving. Works quite nifty! Right at hand and out of the way at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom