AquaLung Zuma - ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to BC..

I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy one, but I have an upcoming trip where airline weight restrictions are a BIG factor. So I bought one on Friday and used it in the water all day Saturday and again on Sunday. I have to say that I really loved it.

I'm a diver at the National Aquarium (in Baltimore), and am in the water for a minimum of 3hours during the day (1 - 1.5 hours x 2 per day). One thing I really noticed at the end of the day was no lower back ache, which normally occurs for me after a long day of diving in cold water I was concerned by the placement of the tank strap on the Zuma, but along with the back padding and tank placement, there was wonderful back support.

Oh - last comment. Saturday was in salt water (10 pounds), Sunday fresh water (4 pounds)

Sunday, we were testing prospective new divers in the pool and I was in the water 4 straight hours (again with the new BC) and again at the end of the day - no back ache. This was a great test for the BC

The Zuma is very trim and very easy to swim with. I even liked the integrated weight system - I generally don't like integrated systems. It will easily take 14 - 16 pounds of lead. I filled the sack to see. I only use 10 - so that was easy enough

I feel my Zuma got a great first test run - 7 hours underwater total over the weekend.

The downside is where to hang things like octopus, safety sausage and gauges, but I'll figure that out. There are 4 "D" rings, so I don't anticipate any problems.

Totally happy

NAIBdiver1

Last edited:
Thanks for that advice NAIB. I'm still considering the purchase. I don't like the plastic "D" rings though. My only other concern is durability. For an additional $100 I can get the Balance and it looks much sturdier. What do you think?

The plastic rings don't bother me. I only go on diving vacation 2X a year, With that amount of use, I don't for see a problem. Also like I said I bought this BC especially for trips with "puddle jumpers". Otherwise, I'll take my main BC

I'm considering purchasing this travel bc. What does everyone think about the AquaLung compared to the competitors?

it's a great bcd. light, comes with integrated weight pockets, underwater very streamline and the tank strap is very well designed to stablize the tank on surface and underwater.

I've never had one on in the pool but they look good on the wall at the LDS. :) A couple other Instructors I know bought them for a trip and were pretty impressed with them.
I wouldn't worry about the plastic d-rings. What's the most you'll hang on them, a spool and SMB or maybe a small light?
The only negative I heard was about the funky chest strap jamming if it got sand in it.
If weight is an issue and you're only going to dive tropics then the Zuma works. The Balance is much sturdier and will cover a broader range of diving.

One other thing that I really like is that the Zuma folds up very compact ! Folded, it fits in one of the side fin pockets of my dive bag. My "normal" BCD takes up most of the larger maim pocket. And again, this upcoming trip I can only take my dive bag and a carry on.

NAIB,

"this upcoming trip I can only take my dive bag and a carry on"...

Do you check your dive bag?

I thought we were only allowed one carry-on per person. I would be terrified to check a dive bag and then discover that most of the stuff was missing on the other end of the flight.

IF you go with the right gear you can put everything dive related in a carry on for warm water diving. Expendables like clothes get checked. You can always buy a few cheap tshirts and a pair of shorts once you get where you are going.

Back
Top Bottom