Zeagle Stiletto LTD or Ranger LTD??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScooterSouthFlorida

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have finally decided that my old, trusty, worn for 10 years Oceanic BCD should be put out to pasture, and I have narrowed down my choices but figured having some other input would be helpful.

I was originally heading into a Black Diamond, but after trying on a Ranger LTD at my LDS, I changed my mind.

After some research, I began to cross-reference the Stiletto and Ranger and it appears that the Ranger has more D-rings, more lift, and can accept doubles, but it appears both are very similarly styled.

However, I have 'always' dove a BC that had a molded tank support and the Zeagle BC's do not have this. Is tank roll a factor or not without a molded support for it?

The LDS said that there is no tank roll on the Ranger and it is uber comfy. After a trial fit in the store, well, it does appear to fit very well and place the weight on your hips and not your diaphragm.

I dive mostly warm waters with a single steel 120.

So is tank roll ever an issue on these BC's?

I am still leaning towards the Ranger as it seems to have more flexibility on set-up as far as doubles, rings, etc, so if I ever want to expand my dive activities, it seems to be able to be modified to the task at hand.

So is tank roll even an issue and how much 'more' do you get for going with the Ranger over the Stiletto?
thanks for your help
scooter

I dove a Ranger for many years before going to a BP/W. I would not use a Ranger for doubles as that are what backplates are for (especially for stability). Given you are diving warm water I would go with the Stiletto as it will be more compact/streamlined. Also I would not the get LTD as the standard is more than adequate.

As for the tank stability it is not a problem as there are two cam bands which hold the cylinder very securely. Zeagle's harness design is very nice and very comfortable.

I'd echo what scared silly said, regarding size an "packability".

I recently got a (regular) Stiletto,and for the previous 9 years had a Zeagle Concept 2.
In neither BC was tank roll a problem.

I have a Scout, Stiletto, Ranger, Tech, and a Tech Express. I own a shop, so I get to play with all the toys......
My opinion. The Stiletto has a "tighter" feel to it, because of the smaller bladder. The ranger is still very easy to control though. No. No tank roll issues for either. If you plan to stay in warm waters, go Stiletto. If you plan to dive doubles, or go colder, go with the Ranger. I usually just stay in my Tech, as it is what I've always had, like my favorite old Mustang that I won't give up.

Thank you for all the replies and good advice, it is appreciated.

I did a little digging online and it seems I can pick up a stiletto LTD with alt. air for about the same price as a Ranger LTD, so now I am leaning towards the Stiletto.

I've always gotten carried away on needing the 'baddest' gear going, realizing that 90% of my diving can be handled by sometimes less technical so to speak. It's just the Ranger has all these cool D-rings and it looks cool, and....... :D:D

thanks again
scooter

Oooo shiny D rings, my favorite thing. Scooter that is called bling and what the mfg use to make you think you need it. Hold fast and remember the KISS principle.

KISS == Keep it simple stupid :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom