What weight system do you use with your harness/backplate set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue_Devil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

I recently bought a harness/backplate set up and am currently still diving with a weight belt. I dive mostly cold water and use approximately 8-9Kg (17-20Lbs), so it's usually about 5 lead blocks. I have tried the weight belt both under the under and over and find both to be uncomfortable.

I don't really want to buy the quick release weight systems that they sell for these types of harnesses because they seem very bulky. What are others using, what works for you? I'm thinking of trying a neoprene belt with soft lead shots, what do others think?

Thanks!

One way I get rid of 2 off my belt is to put 1 'block' on each cam belt----I dove yesterday with 4 weights(10 lbs) & put a 2 on each cam belt & 2 3's on my belt........shown here with 2 3's.....

BPWwith2weights.jpg

I use a XSSCUBA pouch weight belt with a rubber belt. It rides below my Rig waist belt. Block 3lb weights on a rubber belt may be more comfortable.

I like the idea of splitting up the weight. So 1/3 is on BP/Cam straps over lung area and 2/3 on belt.

I like a weight belt, so I can take off my Rig and freedive.

I have a DSS stainless steel plate, with 8 pounds of stainless steel DSS weight plates. I use a rubber belt for the rest of the weight I need.

What brand backplate system did you purchase? There are often off-the-shelf options to add weight systems to most brands of backplates.

Hi there,

I recently bought a harness/backplate set up and am currently still diving with a weight belt. I dive mostly cold water and use approximately 8-9Kg (17-20Lbs), so it's usually about 5 lead blocks. I have tried the weight belt both under the under and over and find both to be uncomfortable.

I don't really want to buy the quick release weight systems that they sell for these types of harnesses because they seem very bulky. What are others using, what works for you? I'm thinking of trying a neoprene belt with soft lead shots, what do others think?

Thanks!

The first consideration should be how much weight you actually NEED as ditchable weight, and how much can be "fixed" to your rig (either to the backplate or on the cam bands).

For most folks diving "wet" (wetsuit), keeping about 8-10 lbs ditchable is a good idea, the rest can be "fixed" (but you do need to figure out the fixed vs ditchable amounts based on your exposure suit and rig).

Best wishes.

I use XS scuba cam band pockets on the waist belt; you can put 5 lbs in each one I think, then get a couple more of the same pockets and put them on the cam bands. With that much added weight you'll probably want to get some of it up on your back.

The cam band pockets thread onto the belt and secure with velcro; if you needed to ditch the weight you could simply pull the velcro pocket-top up, reach in the pocket and pull the weights out. It's more secure than quick release weights and still easy to get rid of if necessary.

Do you have the weights at the front of your belt.
Lose one block.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom