Grommet Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can grommets be removed, other than by cutting them out? In other words, is it possible to remove a mounting grommet in a way so that a new grommet can be installed in the same spot later on if need be?

McMaster-Carr

I have never tried it but looking at the way they assemble, I would use a dremmel tool to grind away the metal inside the hole and it should fall into 2 pieces.

I removed the grommet that sits in the middle of the backplate webbing by just drilling it out from the backside. I should fall into two pieces.

Can grommets be removed, other than by cutting them out? In other words, is it possible to remove a mounting grommet in a way so that a new grommet can be installed in the same spot later on if need be?

With a medium pair of fairly sharp diagonal cutters (aka "dikes") you can grab the edge of washer side of a grommet and "peal" it off the webbing. Takes a bit of work, but it's doable.

I built a set set of punch tooling with a pilot diameter that just fits the ID of a particular size grommet and has a cutting diameter that just removes the center "barrel". Works well, but's well beyond the needs and resources of the DIY's.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom