SeaQuest Fusion BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRon

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got my hands on a new Aqualung catalog and it prominently lists SeaQuest's new Fusion BC. It is a hybrid between a tradional and a back-inflated BC, kind of like the Mares Morphos and Dragonfly. Pricing is supposedly around $750.

It is probably too soon, but this board has surprised me before: has anyone tried one of these yet?
:snorkel:ScubaRon

My impression is it looks like Seaquest's answer to the Mares HUB.
Getting rid of the inflator hose and all that.

I'd be interested in how well it works, too, if only because it's something a little different.

has anyone seen one of these things yet.

SeaQuest Fusion BC

http://www.underseas.com/news/fusion.htm

The new SeaQuest Fusion BC combines the streamlined profile of a back-mount BC with the comfort and stability of a traditional wraparound model.

Saw one at a show. Scubadiving Magazine reviewed it a month or two ago, you might want to find the review, it rated well but was not a top pick. Review should be online in the near future.

Ralph

Parts of it resemble the HUB -- the inflator mounted lower, the oral inflator tucked into a pocket.

It also sounds as though there are two air compartments to worry about...

I've tried one on at a local LDS. It is well built (as most SeaQuest BCs), but it is very bulky and it felt like I was carrying a lightweight chair on my back.

It really is not like a HUB, but more like the Mares Morphos series. I did not dive with it, so I cannot comment on how it behaves in the water. Generally I was not impressed and even if the price were the same I would prefer the Balance or the QD Pro.

I wasn't thinking of buying one just wondering if any one had seen one and what they thought of it. The LDS here in houston is doing a demo day so I may go and check it out just for fun.

Here's a link if anyone in Houston what to check it out and possibly dive with it.

http://www.seasportsscuba.com/DemoDays.pdf

I happened to be in an LDS last month as the manager was pitching a full set of gear for an as yet uncertified OW student. After he completed the sale and the almost diver left (about $3000 poorer), he pointed me to this latest & greatest BC- the "Fusion". Not only the most expensive BC in the store but also one that doesn't look easy for a novice diver to use. One palm size inflate/deflate mechanism attached to the left side (like the Mares dragonfly) and a whole bunch of pull dumps. Having never dove something with this type of trigger to add/dump air, I have to wonder how well air dumps unless this trigger was the highest point in the water? If thats the case, you would have to be on your back, face up and hips high. I also shudder to imagine a new diver with all of the task loading inherent, trying to grab the correct pull dump cord. Lastly, SeaQuest calls it a back inflate with side inflation. Isn't that what the average jacket is anyway? This thing looks huge, bulky and stiff just hanging on the wall. Far be it from me to critisise(sp?) the way some people market and sell gear but sometimes I just have to wonder-what are you thinking?

yknot:
Having never dove something with this type of trigger to add/dump air, I have to wonder how well air dumps unless this trigger was the highest point in the water? If thats the case, you would have to be on your back, face up and hips high. I also shudder to imagine a new diver with all of the task loading inherent, trying to grab the correct pull dump cord. Lastly, SeaQuest calls it a back inflate with side inflation. Isn't that what the average jacket is anyway? This thing looks huge, bulky and stiff just hanging on the wall. Far be it from me to critisise(sp?) the way some people market and sell gear but sometimes I just have to wonder-what are you thinking?

While I have not tried this jacket, I believe it uses the same technique Cressi J series use where all dump valves are opened when you press the dump button. So you orientation doesn't matter.

I use a Mares Morphos and it uses a pneumatic method to dump air, no matter how you are oriented, it will dump. Makes trimming very easy. This makes the fourth company to get rid of the hose to streamline the BC (Mares, Cressi, ScubaPro and SeaQuest).

The reason that they say back inflate with site inflation is that the side sections are small and only help when the jacket is fully inflated. This give you an armchair effect at the surface and stops the face down problem that can result from back inflates. The jacket also inflates away from the body, so no squeeze. The Morphos does the same thing.

The thing that I thought was interesting was how the tank slides into the jacket to further improve streamlining. Way too expensive for my tastes. You can get a Morphos for 1/2 the price of the Fusion.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

I had an opportunity to look a little closer at the dump mechanism. There are pull dumps on both sides at the bottom/rear. Pull a cord and several dump valves elsewhere on the vest open. They are connected to the same cord. The whole thing looks unreliable. Whats wrong with an inflator hose anyway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom