BCD or BP/Wings for the new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jambi

Reaction score
Would a new diver be better off with a quality BCD or BP/Wings? That is my Dilemma. I am a very new diver and very enthusiastic about my new found sport. I have read the posts and weighed the pros/cons of each system and have boiled it down to this, it all depends on the diver and what kind of diving that diver will be doing. I will be sticking with recreational diving for the next 2-3 years until I feel my skills increase to where they need to be. I WILL progress into technical diving (wife permitting); it just won't be next week. I also strongly feel you "get what you pay for" and "you are better off paying now and getting it done right the first time". Either way I will probably end up spending 400-500 regardless of the type of system I opt for. I am very interested in hearing from other divers that went through the same problem and had success and are happy or wish they went with a different system than they had. All suggestions are welcome.

Jambi

I have tried various types of BC's and found that the backplate and wing setup is my favorite. It's simple, comfortable, versatile, easy to clean and takes little time to dry. I'm not a technical diver nor do I agree with everthing DIR has to offer, but once you get away from the sales gimmic BS found in dive magazines you will find that less is better. 99% of my diving is done in cold water with a dry suit. I started out using around 34 pound of lead, with the BP/wings I'm down to about 28.

If possible try out various BC's along with a BP/wing set up before you buy. You will save yourself alot of $$ in the long run and end up with what works best for you.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. For a new diver who is in the learning process, and will be doing primarily recreational diving, the jacket style may be what you need right now. However it can be argued that you should buy the BP & W and "not waste your money". I tend to disagree with this assumption of it being a waste of money. I personally own both a BP & W as well as a jacket style. When I'm traveling and will be diving in "tourist" spots in nothing more than swim trunks and a T-shirt, I prefer my Jacket style BCD. When I dive wrecks complete with dry suit, mixed gasses, staging bottles and plenty of planned deco stops, my BP & W is the only choice.

In short, until you have really moved into "tec" diving, which may take a few years, get a Jacket style BCD that serves you better for "recreational" diving environments. Then dive, learn, and practice. Have fun, and above all don't push yourself to a point where it's no longer *fun*.

Many subjects are hotly debated in the SCUBA diving community. Gear choice happens to be one of them. There is no one right answer in gear choice, no matter how loud and often some argue that "X" is the only right brand or "Y" is the only right choice of gear. Your best bet is to talk *face to face* with a number of divers who are using a variety of gear and get their candid opinions. The impersonal nature of the internet tends to make some people a little more vocal, without any means of real verification of experience. Being new it would be hard for you to figure out which of the opinions are uninformed.

Sign my name to it too

Darlene

one word - rent

I rented gear for the first year of diving before I bought anything (well I did buy a mask and fins)

After a year, I rented a BP + W and took it on a trip, did 10 dives with it and like it, returned home and purchased one. I love it and will not go back to Jacket BC unless I'm on holiday (a non diving one) and decide to try SCUBA (did that recently in Indonesia).

I do think it's hard to realise what it important underwater and to you when looking at gear above water. That's why I say try before you buy.

I'm planning on renting a second regulator set and a larger wing for my deco course. I think it makes sense to try if as I'm not sure how much I will dive doubles, I may just use stage bottles .. the fun of diving :)

i got my OW with a rental jacket, after that i built a B/P wing setup. I used it for AOW, Rescue, and all my specialties. I decided like you i wanted to head the direction of tec but wouldn't be there anytime soon. I felt starting with the equipment i would end up with would be the correct choice to make. The only prob's i have run into is with everyone else i dive with. No one i know dives with a B/P wing setup so durning my class and dives i have to teach my buddy my system (necklace backup, no quick release, blah, blah) Not to much trouble although doing the rescue drills where your buddy takes off your BC while giving rescue breaths and stuff proved to be a task when i was the victim for my buddy. he wasn't used to having no releases on the shoulders. But he worked it out pretty well.

If that's the direction you want to head, why not gain experience with the equipment sooner and more often. Plus i have a feeling that my B/P wing combo will still be very serviceable for years to come when i get to the tech level, where as some of my friends expensive jacket BC's are falling apart after one dive season.

just an idea

kurt

Like a lot of other equipment, BC's really are a matter of choice. I have dove jackets, back inflates (non-BP/wing) and BP/wings and for MY type of diving, mostly warm water reefs, I find a back inflate to be my choice. It gives me the low profile and trim of a BP/wing but with less weight for travel. Reguardless of what some will tell you, the BP is a pain to adjust properly, another reason I don't care much for them. I also found the BP/wing rather uncomfortable on land, underwater I could not tell any real difference between the BP and my BI. Things like trim, bouyancy, streamlinedness and "oneness" with the BC more or less equal between the BI and the BP.

Now if you do intend to go into Tec diving or use double tanks then I would also suggest the BP/wing. While I don't find it particually comfortable and they don't suit me for my diving style, it is the most stable platform for heaver gear. If you intend to go into that sort of diving then you may as well go ahead and start with the correct BC for that use.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with getting another style of BC to begin with. Good quality used BC's of all types are avalible at good prices. Buying used BC's, trying them out for a while, selling them and buying another style until you find what you like is not a bad way to go. Good quality dive gear will last a lot of years and the majority of us buy new gear because we "want it" not because we have worn out our other gear. There are a lot of stories on this board of gear from the 70's and 80's that we still dive ( my first BC, a used jacket type from around 82 is still fine to dive and I do use it on occasion). Borrowing or swapping with your buddy to try different types is also another good way to determine what you actually want/need.

Take your time and try out different types of gear until you find what works for you.

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
However it can be argued that you should buy the BP & W and "not waste your money". I tend to disagree with this assumption of it being a waste of money. I personally own both a BP & W as well as a jacket style. When I'm traveling and will be diving in "tourist" spots in nothing more than swim trunks and a T-shirt, I prefer my Jacket style BCD. When I dive wrecks complete with dry suit, mixed gasses, staging bottles and plenty of planned deco stops, my BP & W is the only choice.

I started out a year ago doing my OW with a jacket style and bought a back inflate BC and now Have a BP/Wing. I will have to disagree with you :) I feel I wasted my money on my BC I wish I would have gone with the BP/Wing from the start. I like the BP/Wing much better.

Dan

well, don't steal, but try out as many
BCs as you can....my LDS was pushing
one style that I dove during my class
and I really liked it (back inflate BCD)....
a friend of mine who is a former dive
instructor told me to look at bp/wings....
I tested out a set and really enjoyed
the freedom of movment it offered.....I
also tried out another back inflate
bc without all the bells and whistles
and liked that one also.....I now own
actually the fourth bc that I tried (back inflate
Balance) but I am looking to get a bp/wings
setup.....the only reason I went with the Balance
was that I got it for a great deal (practically free)

but in the end test out as many as you can
and pick the one that suits your style

Back
Top Bottom