New Diver needs BCD Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

std63

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a BCD in the $400 to $600 range. I know that this may be a lot to spend, but I want something that I can grow into as I become more technically proficient. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Scott

Check out the Halcyon, there have one of the best tech BCs around. In fact you won't ever need another BC. It should out last you. Check out there website at www.halcyon.net

-Badfish

Scott,

Do a some research on this section of the board - there are some useful threads that will get you started regarding BC features to look for and recommended models.

Your choice will depend on multiple factors:
- What kind of diving you do. Cold water diving with lots of weight require BCs with greater lift capacities. Warmer water = less weight = lower profile/lower lift BC

- Do you expect to travel with your gear? If so, you may want to look for a lower profile BC that can be packed easier

- Weight integration vs. non-weight integrated -- this is something you need to decide based on discussions with others and trying it yourself

- Back inflate vs. jacket style -- again, look here and elsewhere for data on how these 2 BC styles work and how they affect your diving

- Tech vs. Rec -- if you ever plan to get into tech diving, you may want to choose an appropriate BC

- Traditional BC vs. backplate/wings -- either of these choices may be appropriate...you need to decide which one works better for you.

So -- bottom line -- think about the diving you plan to do, do a little research, talk to experienced divers you know, ask your instructor (although if affiliated with a shop, answers might be biased towards shop offerings), etc., etc. All of these things will help you make a decision. I would also urge you, if at all possible, to try different BCs before buying......the only way you will know if it works for you is to get it in the water.

Good luck.

Check out the Dive Rite Transpac II. Very versatile harness and there are a number of wings to choose from to match your diving needs. I got mine with Rec Wing and integrated weight pockets, plus a crotch strap for $537 delivered.

Their website : www.diverite.com.

I assume since you are a new diver, that you are not too interested in the Tek scheme, but I could be wrong.

I usually don't steer a new diver into the backplate/wings style because some people don't think they are very comfortable. I know a lot of people on here swear by them, but that is not what I get in my local area. I don't know anybody that solely uses a bp/wings. I have used an OMS harness, and while I was impressed with it's comfort, I still go back to my Seaquest BC's for recreational diving.

In that range, I would suggest the Pro QD or the Balance. The QD has been redesigned for next year (barely, mostly cosmetic) and will cost $475 MSRP. It is a very ergonomic jacket style bc with plenty of lift, attachment points, etc. The balace is a back flotation minimalist bc. It is very open in the front, and has a very secure bc. I have only recently become familiar with it, and have been very impressed with what I have seen. It uses the pivoting shoulder buckes to form a 3 way supporting harness that is very stable. It is the pivot buckles that allow it to do this. Compared to the SCUBAPro Knighthawk, it is far more stable. I believe it sells for abou 500.

You should go to your Seaquest Dealer and check them out.

Consider the Zeagle line of BC's as well. I just bought the Zeagle Ranger last week and I've only used it on one dive so far but I liked it better than the SeaQuest Pro QD jacket which is the only other BC I've dove. The Pro QD is a nice BC but the Ranger is more comfortable to me...I guess mainly because I like less clutter on the front and high up on my sides. I also thought that I got better horizontal positioning in the water with the Ranger as well...probably because it is a rear inflate BC. If you haven't tried a rear inflation BC give one a try before deciding to go with a jacket style BC. Being a newbie diver myself my first reaction was to look for a jacket style BC because that's what I used for my certification and rentals. For a review on the Ranger do a search on "Zeagle Ranger", you will find many posts...particularily the detailed review by TexasMike.

I'm a new diver and I found that the purchase of a BCD probably helped my bouyancy and comfort level better than almost anything (other than practise :D)

There dosen't seem to be a "best" answer - so don't worry about it. There is however a "best for you" . Large_diver is on the ball (as usual) . Try as many as you can get your hands on. From my limited experience, all of the mainstream companies produce good safe BCDs and they all seem to be fairly rugged within thier price range.

And have fun with it....

Definitly great posts so far on this thread!! I personally dive with the Dive Rite Transpac II and I love it. But do yourself a favor, don't buy on line unless you are absolutly, postively, 100% sure you know the following:

1.) You know what BC you want
2.) You have tried it on and know exactly what size you want. (Remember all BC's are sized differently so you have to make sure the one you want is the correct size)
3.) The BC is confortable to you and you like the fit and set up
4.) You are confortable with the fact you will get NO SUPPORT from the vendor.
5.) The warrenty from the manufactur will most likely be void and your OK with that.

These are things that I learned the hard way when I bought my first BC. The support a new diver needs is very important and I would suggest going to all the dive shops in your area, ask as many questions as you can. Try on as many BC's as you can. Search this site for recomendations on BC's that you have seen and tried on. And then pull out the Credit Card and enjoy your purchase. I spent many months of research before I bought my Transpac II and now that I have it, I'm glad I took my time to find the BC thats right for me.

NJDiver_34

Try to rent or borrow a BC from your LDS, if they do loans, and try them out. That way you can really get a feel for the BC.:doctor:

If u can find a SeaTec Orignal Manta, buy it with your eys closed. I had mine for years and had nothing but great time,Special Forces use it,Marines,Isreali Militiry,etc.... it takes a beat, and never fails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom