question about light/travel bcds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to the forum here let alone scuba diving and looking into buying a bcd. I have seen a difference already between the jacket and back inflation but now i see these smaller and more compact looking bc's such as this:Oceanic Biolite Bioflex Travel Scuba BCD 08.2207 with reviews at scuba.com

is there any disadvantage/advantage in using a travel or light bcd besides the fact its smaller and more compact. any cons?

thanks

The biggest con I can see is the price. There is no need to pay that much for a bc of any kind. Take a look at some of the modular bc's aka back plate and wings, or something like the Zeagle express tech. The one you cited seems to have a great deal of extra padding that is simply not necessary. The bpw and the zeagle are extremely stable, easily configured, and will save you enough cash to pay for a few extra dives. With these you can also be assured that they fit you correctly every time. No trying to fit a mfg idea of what size you should be.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The link i posted was more an example of what i meant as a light/travel bcd.
ill keep what you said in mind, still looking obviously, but is there any pros / cons of using a travel/light bcd, besides the fact that its much more smaller and compact.

Also would it be ideal for a diver such as myself just having been certified as open water not even a week ago go with a back plate and wings bcd as a first bcd purchase? or a back inflate/jacket bcd be more appropriate, considering my experience etc.

Or a halcyon 30 pound lift wing, with a aluminum back plate.....the aluminum back plate is vbery light, and easily fits in any suitcase, where it takes up almost no functional space...the wing folds and packs down, also taking up almost no space.

You end up with one of the Best BC systems in the world, without compromising anywhere, and the travel potential can't be beat....

See Halcyon Infinity | Halcyon Dive Systems

Going this route is also putting you on the path to becoming a better diver.....it gets much easier to hold optimal trim and experieince opimal bouyancy control, so the normal reaction divers have, is to take this a bit further :)

Because of the low drag of the Halcyon system, you expend less energy to swim a given speed ( when compared to a big floppy bc), so your air or nitrox will last longer/more bottom time :)

.....ever heard the sayings "you get what you pay for" and "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" ?

Those travel BC's are built from lower grade (lighter weight) materials, and have minimal features or adaptability/customization potential.

A newbie diver with little/no real world diving experience won't appreciate this factor...at first anyway.

you have to remember this guy is in australia and they don't have access to the same type of gear as we do and certainly not at the same price...
You won't see much of a travel difference between a SS and AL backplate if you go that route, but they can be somewhat of a hassle to pack because they are hard.
buy Dive Rite Travel EXP Package at northeastscubasupply.com - Backplate and Wings - Backplate and Wing Packages -- Save Big!!!! - Dive Rite Travel EXP Package - Northeast Scuba Supply
$300 gets you a backplate and wing that is great for travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom