Are backplates stackable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sumguy

Contributor
Reaction score
If you have two identical backplates, can you bolt them together for added weight?
(And dive with them that way?)

Stacking backplates is a great way to add additional - albeit unditchable - weight. I stacked OMS plates when I was diving doubles and it worked fine. You just have to be sure the bolts from your tank bands are long enough to accomodate the additional plate.

go with a heavier plate. FredT, a boardmember, makes em.

couple of things to note ... if you wear a total of 12 lbs, you might want to dive a single 6lbs first to see what the 'correct' weight should be. some folks drop some weight when switching to BP fr jacket. not sure if that's what you're doing.

What I was thinking was getting a 6# plate for travel and for some doubles, and then later adding another plate for single tank diving in cold water. The second plate would either be another 6, or maybe a 9#. Bolted together, I wouldn't need to carry as much lead, and used individually, I'd have a couple more options. (If I went with the 6 and 9)

sumguy once bubbled...
What I was thinking was getting a 6# plate for travel and for some doubles, and then later adding another plate for single tank diving in cold water. The second plate would either be another 6, or maybe a 9#. Bolted together, I wouldn't need to carry as much lead, and used individually, I'd have a couple more options. (If I went with the 6 and 9)

I doubled my SS OMS backplates and it worked great. I have since sold my OMS plates and bought a heavy FredT plate. The price of 2 OMS plates was expensive compared to 1 FredT plate, gave up 4 pounds, saved $150.00!!

What, one is good two is better?

Because of the sequence of maufacture stacking plates creates a slight mismatch of the slots. Stacking 1/8" plates is doable if not using a STAless wing. With a through the plate tank strap stacking causes a mismatch on the tank strap slots to almost a half a slot. By the time the third plate is stacked it's almost impossible to get the tank bands through it.

You'll also set up a corrosion cell between the plates unless they are separated for rinsing and drying after dipping them in seawater. Whle this is not too bad with a couple of 316 SST plates, it could cause significant pitting on a pair of 304 SST ones.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom