Weight of Halcyon system vs. oxycheq system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raposarose

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question about the weight difference between the oxycheq 45lb wing system and the halcyon pioneer 36lb system.

I know that the standard line is that the steel BP takes 6 lbs off of your back.

Now, my fiancee bought the oxycheq system from covci. I bought the halcyon 36 lb. pioneer. Her system feels significantly lighter. I think that her plate might be a pound lighter based on looking at the the koplin website. Still, I think that the difference is greater and it is making it hard for me to figure out exactly how much weight I am carrying. I know that the easy solution is just to put the BP/Wing set-ups on a scale, but I don't have an accurate scale and that doesn't take buoyancy differences into account.

I have been diving with 18 to 20 lbs of lead in addition to my plate. She has been using 16 (we both have 2-piece suits for cold CA waters). I am curious if any of you know exactly what the weight difference is between our systems? Am I really using 24 to 26 lbs (down from 31 when I first started) or is it more (I thought my whole set-up weighed about 8lbs when I put it on an inaccurate scale).

Ok, you all get the idea. I look forward to your replies.

raposarose:
Hello all,

I have a question about the weight difference between the oxycheq 45lb wing system and the halcyon pioneer 36lb system.

I know that the standard line is that the steel BP takes 6 lbs off of your back.

Now, my fiancee bought the oxycheq system from covci. I bought the halcyon 36 lb. pioneer. Her system feels significantly lighter. I think that her plate might be a pound lighter based on looking at the the koplin website. Still, I think that the difference is greater and it is making it hard for me to figure out exactly how much weight I am carrying. I know that the easy solution is just to put the BP/Wing set-ups on a scale, but I don't have an accurate scale and that doesn't take buoyancy differences into account.

I have been diving with 18 to 20 lbs of lead in addition to my plate. She has been using 16 (we both have 2-piece suits for cold CA waters). I am curious if any of you know exactly what the weight difference is between our systems? Am I really using 24 to 26 lbs (down from 31 when I first started) or is it more (I thought my whole set-up weighed about 8lbs when I put it on an inaccurate scale).

Ok, you all get the idea. I look forward to your replies.

Any scale in 1 lb increments will do just fine. The wing weight is irrelevant here.

Are both BP's steel?
Do the set-ups have STAs?

My guess is that the STAs are different weights

I got my daughter the small SS backplate from OxyCheq and its only 4#, while their medium is 5#. Check OxyCheq for further info. COVCI sells OxyCheqs wings and plates from Koplin
The plate I dive with is a SS from Halcyon and it is 6#, the STA adds to that depending on which one I use, regular or heavy.

Have you tried weighing the rig?

The Oxycheq should have an STA...

The Pioneer should not...

Hers has the sta, mine does not as Jonnythan mentioned.

Yes I tried weighing it -- but the buggy digital scale gave different results each time. I know I can just buy a good scale but I wanted to see if anyone knew this.

The thing is that the digital scale gave a difference of about 3 lbs (mine is heavier) and hers is the one with the sta. Both are steel and the difference should have only been 1 lb. I don't know if the steel buckles on the cam straps and the MC storage pack + the one lb diffenence in the plate should add up to such a difference.

I suppose my goal in asking the question was to figure out if I am really carrying 26 lbs of weight. If so, then I guess she is carrying a couple less pounds than the we had been calculating.

Well...

Why do you care? If you know how much lead to put on a belt, then the total amount of weight compared to how much you had wearing a different BC is irrelevant. When I switched from my old BC to a bp/w I dropped 10 pounds total, 6 for the plate and 4 from no having to sink the old BC. Now when I look at how much weight I need, I don't look at the numbers from the old one, they're obsolete.

R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom