Ideas on BCD for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryancor

Reaction score
I know that choosing a BCD is a personal thing and you can't beat trying out as many as possible but i would appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone has about what are good or bad features and what i should avoid. Any reccomendations would be great. Most of my diving will be recreational dives in warm water.

ryancor:
I know that choosing a BCD is a personal thing and you can't beat trying out as many as possible but i would appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone has about what are good or bad features and what i should avoid. Any reccomendations would be great. Most of my diving will be recreational dives in warm water.

BCD progression is normally first from a jacket style, then to backinflation style, and finally to a backplate style. Whether your final destination is a harness and backplate style or a B/C and backplate style, it will depend on who you are diving with.

If you are buying gear, it is normally better to buy a computer first, then a suit, then a reg, and finally a B/C. So I would not rush it.

When you get ready to buy, try on a few first, and dive with them.

Welllll...I guess that depends on who you ask.

I don't recommend buying a computer first because I don't use one and I'd save the cash.

Diving is primarily swimming around neutrally buoyant right? That's harder to do in unfamiliar gear so why not own the equipment that effects your ability to do that the most? That would be tha bc and exposure suit.

I can't help but recommend a plate and wing. I've dives with lots of stuff and that's what I like for lots of reasons. It's streamline, simple, the harness is infanately adjustable and gives lots of options for mounting accesssories in a secure streamline fashion.

IndigoBlue:
If you are buying gear, it is normally better to buy a computer first, then a suit, then a reg, and finally a B/C. So I would not rush it.

I dont agree with this method of gear aquisition. I always tell my students to get a wetsuit first (assuming student already owns mask, snorkel, and fins), then BC, then air delivery system...

Now, that being said, as far as a BC goes, I would recommend a back inflation BC. I prefer the Seaquest Balance. Its a nice unit, good for traveling, and doesnt have things you dont need. Its compact, and works well... I would look at a BP & W, but realize that its more bulk for traveling.

Why progress and buy 2 or 3 BC's? I wish I had known better - I asked the questions and indicated at the time I would probably be tech diving sooner than they thought. They advised, I bought, then I found this board. Ah, well.

I talked to an instructor here the other day who is working on opening his own dive shop by next month. He and his teaching staff will be putting OW students in DiveRite Transplates.:D He said he's tired of lying to students to sell the gear the shop (where he *used* to work) carries and rents.

As you said, ryancore - it's a personal choice. If you can, try a BP/W. Try a jacket as well. Maybe even a back inflate. Try each more than once if you can - on actual dives, not just in the pool. Go with the gear you are comfortable with.

Here's an old thread about buying order for equipment

click

IndigoBlue:
BCD progression is normally first from a jacket style, then to backinflation style, and finally to a backplate style. Whether your final destination is a harness and backplate style or a B/C and backplate style, it will depend on who you are diving with.

When you get ready to buy, try on a few first, and dive with them.

The hits just keep coming....

K

LDS recommended a Seamann Sub BCD for £300 (UK). I have had a search around and found a Scuba Pro Glide 2000 which appears to be the same but only £227 ($430) on Scubastore. I will be diving in the UK as well as abroad in warmer water. I would appreciate any opinions on the Glide 2000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom