Dacor The Rig II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisATL

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have tried to search for this without much luck. I'm looking for a BC, and my LDS has the Dacor The Rig II for $199. Seems like a really good deal, but I'm having a tough time finding any type of user reviews of it.

I'm a new diver (10 dives) and will do 4 to 6 trips per year. Just bought new reg, octo, computer, etc, so I'd like to keep the BC cost down.

If this one's no good, can anyone recommend one in this price range?

Thanks for any help

With only 10 dives, you really haven't had a chance to see what other poeple are using and how they like it. You also haven't had enough time to figure out what you like and need.

If I were you, I would continue to rent BCs from different shops so you can try BCs from a variety of mfgrs.

Next time you at the quarry/lake/resort, keep you eyes opened, see what other divers are wearing and if you run across a BC that you don't quite get or seems unusual, ask them about it and why they chose it.

I don't know anything about The Rig II but from looking at a few pictures and the descriptions, it looks like it's being *marketed* as a technical BC. If technical diving is something you ever plan on going into and you end up buying this BC, you're going to have to sell it and get yourself a backplate and wing. 14 D-rings does sound a bit excessive unless you want to clip off everything you own and have an underwater garage sale. Also the 60 lbs of lift it provides is **extremely** excessive and will cause a lot of drag in the water (I can't imagine you ever needing more than 30# with a single tank uless you are layering 7mm wetsuits).

It's a very versital BC. Has a good lift cap. And is comfortable to wear. The rig 2 should come with a back plate. If it doesn't then this may be a left over that someone took the back plate from. If the back plate is there the price is a good one. Without the PB I'd stay away from it and opt for something else
The rig 2 is designed for tec diving but can be used for rec. diving with no problem. It should have the gromet holes in it already.
Just one mans opinion.
Fred

Completely agree with this statement. P O S
I dove one for a short period. The screws all came loose. The inflator malfunctioned on me. Most D-rings are plastic.
Dont waste your money....

Boogie711:
Do a search - the consensus is the Dacor Rig 2 is a crappy, bulky, overrated wannabe POS.

Stay the heck away.

Pro's:
- Back Inflate BC

Con's:
- Stupid heavy out of the water and it require stupid amounts of weight to make it neutral underwater.
- The air cell is way too big for a single tank. It 'tacos' and can be difficult to get the air out.
- Too many inappropriate clips, snaps, velcro, etc.
- The kangaroo pockets seems like a good idea - until you try to use it.
- Intergrated weight pockets like to commit suicide by 'jumping' from the bc and heading for the bottom.
- The plastic backplate is stupid and it scratches the heck out of your tanks.
- It's late and I'm tired. I'm done for now.

My wife had one and she likes her bp/wing much better.

-Frank

ChrisATL:
Thanks for the opinions guys, that's what I needed.

Any suggestions for a similar priced BC?
I'd be hard pressed to recommend a BC that retails $200. You can get a Zeagle Scout at LP for $214, at least it has a reasonably sized bladder (35#) and supposedly packs small. Also, the Zeagle BC's are supposedly quite modular. If you decided to go to BP/Wing later, you may be able to use the wing on a BP.

I have a Zeagle wing on my BP (34#). My guess is it's the same wing (would be pretty silly for them to manufacture two different bladders of the same size when they could just use one).

....or you can get the zeagle escape for about $290 off of leisurepro. I'm very happy with mine. But I agree with the others, unless you know exactly what you want hold off on the bc and dive as many types as you can.

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom