backplate orientation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
Stupid question, but couldn't find the answer doing a few googles. My backplate has a convex side and a concave side. Which side is the diver side and which side is the tank side? I'm sure it could work either way, and I can't remember how I had it threaded before (put a different harness on and didn't remember how I had it). Thanks guys.

Thanks t bone. And I've scoured that page without finding anything about the orientation of the actual bp.

you can see it in the pictures..... There is a very distinct ridge on the plate and that goes away from the body. The channel is so the wing nuts don't gouge into your spine. It's horridly uncomfortable if you put it on with the channel towards your spine, that and it will rock side to side, it should contour to your back pretty well and not move if you put it on the right way

Put your convex back against the concave plate.

Don't feel bad -- even dive professionals can get confused about this. The first day we went to dive at KBR in Indonesia, I found the staff had very diligently pulled the cambands through my backplate and mounted the tank to the "diver" side. I wondered how on earth they thought I was going to wear it that way . . .

In pictures of plates without webbing, even though I know how it goes, I frequently see the obverse of what I'm looking at (depending on the lighting). Its kind of neat.

Last edited:
In pictures of plates without webbing, even though I know how it goes, I frequently see the obverse of what I'm I'm looking at (depending on the lighting). Its kind of neat.

Aside - I used to (and still do) have that problem with isometric draftings, seeing objects inside out. Cool and annoying ...

But yes, concave towards you, convex towards the wing/tank(s).

BRad

I am having a hard time comprehending that someone who had used a BP in the past could not know how the plate is orientated. Blows my mind. I could understand this question from someone who has never used one, or guides putting Lynne's gear together ass backwards, but not this.

I am having a hard time comprehending that someone who had used a BP in the past could not know how the plate is orientated. Blows my mind. I could understand this question from someone who has never used one, or guides putting Lynne's gear together ass backwards, but not this.

IIRC, this diver has just recently been looking into BP&W's. I seem to remember a post just a couple of weeks ago where he/she was asking about a particular type of BP&W so maybe it is not such a crazy thing.

Back
Top Bottom