Warm Water Travel BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the market for a vacation bcd that I'll use for Caribbean diving. Looking for suggestions. Will only use a couple of times a year for about 30 dives per year. Obviously weight is important but would sacrifice a few pounds for the right bcd. Tired of renting bcds that don't fit. Probably looking for a back inflated one. Thank you.

Check out the Zuma.

Very light

145922.jpg

It rolls up and is SO easy to pack. It is easy to use, too.

zuma_folded.jpg

Zeagle Covert 3.9# with integrated weight pockets. Great travel bcd.

Covert rolls up like a newspaper - try doing that with a BP/W...lol

There's also the Zeagle Express Tech. which is a minimalist soft bp/w modular design. All their pieces (weight systems/pockets/larger wing etc.) work with it. It's a little heavier though. Zeagle BCs

Or the ScubaPro Litehawk - LeisurePro has last years model at $239. Scubapro Litehawk BC, Black

I choose a Dive Rite Travel EXP for this. It is small and packs flat in a suite case. To further reduce weight I use a commercial diving harness instead of a back plate. It is also lighter and packs flatter then a metal back plate.

bc_bc4100_2__1.jpgIMG_2365.jpgIMG_2374.jpg

Just don't understand the weight issue. When I check the weight on all these travel BCD's they are no more than 3/4# more than my basic Tusa. I take that (with no weigh problem) in my checked bag. It's a bit bulky but then I don't need much in the way of clothes to dive, dive, dive. I far prefer using the BCD that I'm used to and completely comfortable with and that is in a "reflex" configuration - everything exactly where I expect it to be.

My Sherwood Avid XXL weighs 11 lbs dry. As I started to travel more, I was constantly bumping up against 50 lb limits. So I got a Aqualung Zuma. The XXL weighs 5 lbs dry. It fits, and I love the back inflate. Takes up very little room in my bag. I use it almost exclusively now. I love it! After two years, the bladder developed a small seam leak, which Aqualung attributed to my extensive pool use/chlorine exposure. My LDS replaced it for free with an upgraded, sturdier bladder. It's also extremely easy to rinse out, clean, and dry.

I've been very happy with my Oceanic Biolite.

My Stiletto is 7.4 lbs. Plenty of lift(35 lbs), back inflate, durable, packs without taking up too much room, very adjustable for the right fit. You can also order a crotch strap for it if you want. Works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom