Hollis HTS (Not2) with oxycheq 30 STA required with no backplate ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ti325v

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Con Dao Islands Vietnam. Owner of Dive ! Dive ! Di
# of dives
I am hopeful somebody can give me some advice.
Current rig is a DIR single strap harness s.s. plate and an oxycheq 30 mach 5.

I have an older Hollis HTS harness I would like to use with the oxycheck, and leave off the plate.
The HTS is back home in the states and will be here in a few months, so I cannot just eyeball it or test the configuration. If I need an STA for this application, I would have to have it brought over with the harness. I used the HTS with a plate at home, so this question never came up. The HTS came with Cam bands.
The oxycheq site says.... Complete with roll control so you will not have to use an STA (Single Tank Adaptor) with a OxyCheq backplate.
Does anybody have any idea if an STA is a must have with this combination ?
Thanks for any advice.

An STA would not be needed. I do not have my Oxy wing with me but from memory it has two rods which stabilize the tank. If you want to be on the safe side you can have the person delivering the harness to bring some rubber pads for the cam bands which help keep the tank from shifting.

Thanks ams:
My oxy does not have rods, but on each side of the tank there are two folded over heavy nylon stops that center the tank, I think it will work as well and if I had to I could whip up some form of sta here.
Thanks very much for your advice.
Regards
Larry

Your welcome Larry. I am sorry I do not have my Oxycheq with me to take a look at but I do remember it having some type of centering method on the wing, I think the nylon stops have rods inside to steady the tank. I am sure you probably know this but I will repeat it for the benefit of others that may look at this thread. There are two main reasons to use an STA. 1) The wing is designed to use one. Halcyon, DRIS, UTD, Light Monkey and some others require an STA because the wing has no slots for the cam bands and no build in stabilization. 2) The slots in the plate and the slots in the wing do not line up. These are not standardized. This should not be a problem for you because Oxycheq wings have long cam slots so I am fairly certain the cam bands on the harness will be able to be threaded through the wing. A minor reason for using an STA is ease of disassembly of the rig. With an STA you only need to undue 2 wing nuts to separate the wing from the plate. Without an STA you usually need to unthread the cambands, which adds some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom