Custom Divers S40 "Dog Bone" Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave616

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The search feature turned up nothing...

Has anyone tried a Custom Divers S40 "Dog Bone" Back Plate? 3mm Aluminum @ .9lbs.

I currently travel with an OxyCheq Fabric Plate (Hog harness + 18lb. Mach V Extreme Wing), but I'm thinking of trying a metal plate/STA
setup the next trip south.

I'm sure it would work fine, I guess it's possible that a full size plate would be a little more stable, but I don't know. I use Eric's freedom plate with that wing and it's fantastic.

I'm sure it would work fine, I guess it's possible that a full size plate would be a little more stable, but I don't know. I use Eric's freedom plate with that wing and it's fantastic.

I think I tried waiting in line for one a few years ago and just gave up. The CD plate mainly appeals to me based on its weight, or lack of.

the weight is going to be negated by the STA, you aren't going to see any notable stability increase going to the STA, use what you have, it's perfectly fine.

Cave Adventurers - OxyCheq SS Travel Backplate - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Oxycheq does make one, but it is in SS, so weighs 1kg instead of 1lb, but the difference is that the weight counts in the water, with al you don't get to take weight off of the belt, or at least a negligible amount. Made in USA too if that matters to you

I agree with tbone that you will lose the advantage of light weight because you will have to add a STA. There are light weight aluminum full backplates with slots for double cam bands, so no STA is required. The Scubapro weighs 1.75 pounds, so it is less than 1 pound more than the Dog Bone plate. The Oxycheq travel plate he linked to does have slots for cam bands, so even at 1kg it would be better than the Custom Divers one. Golem also sells a stainless plate that looks identical to the Oxycheq and is listed at 2 pounds. But it is more expensive. Golem Stream Backplate

hell, Edd may cut you a deal on the one he has just to get it out of his shop since he doesn't do backmount stuff.....

the weight is going to be negated by the STA, you aren't going to see any notable stability increase going to the STA, use what you have, it's perfectly fine.

Cave Adventurers - OxyCheq SS Travel Backplate - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Oxycheq does make one, but it is in SS, so weighs 1kg instead of 1lb, but the difference is that the weight counts in the water, with al you don't get to take weight off of the belt, or at least a negligible amount. Made in USA too if that matters to you

Edd has sold me all my by BPW stuff over the years. Great deals.

I've known about the Oxy SS Travel Plate. I was more concerned about keeping my baggage weight down by saving a pound on the plate. I've already got a full aluminum backplate laying around. I believe it's 2.2lbs.

Last spring in Coz I used some AL100's and was thinking a metal plate with an STA might be a little more stable. I'm not worried about taking weight off my belt, even with the soft plate I only needed 8lbs. on my belt.

---------- Post added January 31st, 2015 at 01:58 PM ----------

The Oxycheq travel plate he linked to does have slots for cam bands, so even at 1kg it would be better than the Custom Divers one. Golem also sells a stainless plate that looks identical to the Oxycheq and is listed at 2 pounds. But it is more expensive. Golem Stream Backplate

Thank you, I didn't know about the Golem Plate. Good point about not having cam band slots; I got wrapped up in thinking I was going to use the STA for sure, but I l like the idea of having the option.

Last edited:
You could also try DSS's kydex plate, the website says it is less than a pound negative but does not give dry weight. If you are willing to think outside the box then you could try this one for $13 dollars.

You could also try DSS's kydex plate, the website says it is less than a pound negative but does not give dry weight. If you are willing to think outside the box then you could try this one for $13 dollars.

Although money isn't an issue, the Kydex plate doesn't interest me at that price. If I was going to use a standard-shaped plate, I would probably stick with my aluminum one.

That $13 plate would be fun to play around with, but I don't think I could trust it without lots of testing.

At this point I'm leaning toward the Golem Stream w/Reversed Profile and skipping the STA.

couldn't trust it? It's basically the same as all of the plastic plates in all of the standard stab jacket BC's on the market.... Also was used for decades for single tank diving before BC's were invented..... They work very very well, though putting wings on them can be a bit interesting, but many vintage guys using double hoses just use the plate itself and no wing when diving in Bonaire and similar type places where you're doing single tank diving without wetsuits and don't need a wing.

Back
Top Bottom