How horrible would a 60lb wing be with double 80s... for 10days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heading to Truk for 10 days where I'll be diving AL80's, plus a 40 for 02 and maybe slinging another 80 on some dives.

I have a Halycon 60lb wing I use here at home with double steel 119's. While I think it's technically overkill buoyancy-wise for the rig I'll be diving in Truk, I'm wondering how much the 60 will be flapping in the breeze?

Last time in Truk I was able to borrow a Halcyon 40 and it worked out fine, though I was only slinging a 40. Just wondering if it's worth the trouble trying to scrounge up a loaner before I head out in two weeks? I vaguely recall laying the 60 and the 40 on top of each other last time and being surprised at how little difference there was.

Appreciate any thoughts folks who've actually dove a 60lb wing with AL80s might have.

For further context I'll also be toting a Salvo 21w can light and/or a camera on the dives. Oh... and diving dry.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why a 60lb wing would ever be necessary diving AL doubles. If you do use one, I don't think it's a death sentence though. 38-45 range would be fine...especially when diving dry. Is it impossible to get steels in truk? I personally wouldn't want to deal with the extra lead when diving AL in a drysuit.

It's going to flap - I tried an Evolve 60 with my double 100s once, and it wasn't pretty. If you want a nice Halcyon Evolve 40 for cheap, shoot me a PM. I have one I tried on my revo and wound up going back to the Explorer 40; only thing not to like about it is the second set of grommets I put in the center rib to accommodate the revo's 4 bolts.

Reactions: RJP
I cannot for the life of me figure out why a 60lb wing would ever be necessary diving AL doubles.

I'm guessing you didn't read the post beyond the subject line?

It might not be necessary but if you owned one you might come up with at least one good reason to wonder if it might be "acceptable" for a few days.

:d

Get a smaller wing. I used a 58 wing in Mexico with AL 80 doubles and had some trouble venting air near the ends of the dives. I borrowed a smaller wing and was much happier.

I'll go against the grain and my usual advice......I think it would be okay considering. I assume you'll be in a DS, so almost no air required in the wing, yes it'll flap but if your in Truk you'll be surrounded in steel, not current. Hopefully you won't do any tight penetrations so minimal risk there. Pm Kevrumbo as he's the "Truk" expert......he'll know if you can get steels, I'm sure you can. Also, he can give you a breakdown of how much money he spends there. If you decide against that wing, let me know and I can fedex you a 38 Hollis for the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have to go out of trim to vent, especially if you put any air in the suit. You're in blue open water, so who cares?

Just returned from a three week trip from Truk.

The best option if you can't borrow a buddy's 40 wing from home, at least for the next week before Truk Lagoon Dive Center/Truk Stop Hotel Dive-Ops Manager Rob McGann returns back home to Florida Cave Country, is to ask for rental of a Halcyon 40 Evolve or Explorer Wing. Not sure if they're Rob's wings going home with him or belong to the Dive-Ops Rental.

Google Truk Lagoon Dive Center and call them (they are 15 hrs ahead of Eastern Standard Time) -ask to speak with Rob, Cindy or the new manager in training Gary.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 09:07 PM ----------

You may have to go out of trim to vent, especially if you put any air in the suit. You're in blue open water, so who cares?
Sure Lynne . . .he's in Blue Water and no Overhead as long as he stays outside the Wrecks -so trim to vent like you say won't matter.

Last edited:

I'll be in the lower engine rooms, etc

Is that "blue open water"?

:d

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 01:20 AM ----------

Just returned from a three week trip from Truk.

The best option if you can't borrow a buddy's 40 wing from home, at least for the next week before Truk Lagoon Dive Center/Truk Stop Hotel Dive-Ops Manager Rob McGann returns back home to Florida Cave Country, is to ask for rental of a Halcyon 40 Evolve or Explorer Wing. Not sure if they're Rob's wings going home with him or belong to the Dive-Ops Rental.

Google Truk Lagoon Dive Center and call them (they are 15 hrs ahead of Eastern Standard Time) -ask to speak with Rob, Cindy or the new manager in training Gary.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 09:07 PM ----------

Sure Lynne . . .he's in Blue Water and no Overhead as long as he stays outside the Wrecks -so trim to vent like you say won't matter.

Anything new/changed/remarkable? My last trip was 2009. Sub penetratable anymore? Was more than a bit tight last time.

I'll be in the lower engine rooms, etc

Is that "blue open water"?

Anything new/changed/remarkable? My last trip was 2009. Sub penetratable anymore? Was more than a bit tight last time.
Bow of Rio and Engine Room of Fujikawa (R2D2 Compressor) are getting very dangerous with loose unstable superstructure plating hanging above. Aikoku engine room now requires running a reel in at nearly 60m max depth, and there is finally a small boat mooring line attached to the Port side hull just aft of the remaining superstructure. Fumitzuki Destroyer engine room can only be done on Sidemount with dismount technique; I-169 Sub traverse only done via Sidemount with both tanks dismounted and pushed ahead thru the bulkhead forward hatch restriction, but simple penetration do-able on Backmount manifolded doubles with entry/egress only thru aft vertical hatch. Nippo Maru mooring had the strongest current conditions which I used a jonline during deco.

Cold Winter Season, 27deg C air & water temps, prevailing chilly NE winds 8-12 knots, 2 to 5' max wind chop/swells in the Lagoon, with scattered rain showers. Glad you're bringing the Drysuit RJP -because I surely missed mine!

Coming up on 71st Anniversary of the battle!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom