Looking for a bcd... Considering zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zhomich

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there, I am pretty new to scuba diving just starting to Acquire all my gear I'm looking to buy a bc and thief just seems to be to many options and was wondering what you guys recommend. I have been really looking at the zeagle ranger and tech 10 anyone have anything Good or bad to say about them?

they're good bc's. You see a lot of people on this board recommending backplate and wings, and I am a firm believer in them despite being a sidemount diver. You need to really look at your long term diving goals before deciding on a rig. The Ranger and Tech 10 are expensive pieces of equipment, and are somewhat limiting for long term diving goals if you are interested in technical diving further down the road. If you are doing a lot of local diving a SS backplate with single tank adapter and SS cam bands can take 10lbs off of your belt and don't weight much more than the Ranger *8.4lbs dry*, so you're at 18.4lbs to get 10lbs negative with the Ranger, vs 12 ish lbs for a backplate and wing.

There are lots of Zeagle fanboys out there and they have every right to be, but for the money there are much better options out there and the option to spend quite a bit less.
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
For under $400 this is the best bang for the buck bcd out there, if you want to spend a bit more
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs
this is a bit better, but is about $100 more, domestically made though, the DRiS is made overseas, Deep Sea Supply is 100% made in California from the wing to the D-rings to the tri-glides.

Give us a bit more insight on your long term and short term diving goals and we can help you out a bit more specifically.

My Ranger is coming up on 15 years old,shows no signs of wearing out, and I would buy another one when needed.

Here are some of the things I don't like. First, the rip cord for ditching weights is an all or nothing proposition. Second, the accessory pockets outside the weight pockets are located a bit too far to the rear for my liking. Third, the shoulder dump valve is next to useless.

Finally, there are a lot of Ranger bcd's out there and they come up very often on Ebay. You shouldn't have a problem picking up one in good shape for less than $300. If you go that route, the first thing I would look for in the pictures are metal d rings on the shoulder straps. Then ask the seller how long the bladder holds air when fully inflated and what shape the stitching and zippers are in.

Zeagle makes a great product. Consider the Brigade as well Ranger harness a bit smaller wing, it is a bit harder to come by used but great BC as well.

You can half pull to dump just the far weight pocket. Agreed on the accessories pocket it is a bit to far back.

Newer Rangers (and Brigades) have a plastic Ranger inflator hose tag, curved shoulder straps, and double d rings on the shoulders. Slightly older have plastic tag and single d ring shoulders, older have embroidered ranger tag, and then older still have embroidered tag and straight shoulder straps.

A great condition Ranger can be had for 200-300 bucks and end on eBay all day everyday. Good luck and safe diving.

My Stiletto is a great piece of gear. Well made, functions well, fits well. All around good experience with it. I don't think you can go wrong with a Zeagle. I have seen a lot of them on the dive trips I have done. They travel well and I like the ripcord weight system. I also like having dual cambands, never had a problem with dropping weights unintentionally and while the pockets are not huge they do serve the purpose for the small odds and ends like a signal mirror, pocket snorkel and a small flashlight. The weight pockets on the back work well for getting trimmed out. I would buy a zeagle product again but I don't know if this one will wear out anytime soon.

I like the fact that they are manufactured in the USA (some components of the BCD are sourced offshore).
Zeagle has a good reputation for service and support.
Interchangeable BCD components help with getting a good fit
Custom color combinations can be ordered from the factory

The ranger wing is horseshoe shape and is 44lbs lift. Question for Ranger owners, how well do you "trim out" on a Zeagle Ranger compared to a BP/W? Do you get to and maintain horizontal trim faster and easier with a BP/W vs. Zeagle Ranger? Do you need more weight trim adjustment on a Ranger?

The ranger wing is horseshoe shape and is 44lbs lift. Question for Ranger owners, how well do you "trim out" on a Zeagle Ranger compared to a BP/W? Do you get to and maintain horizontal trim faster and easier with a BP/W vs. Zeagle Ranger? Do you need more weight trim adjustment on a Ranger?

Divetech99,

I can "trim out" in a Zeagle Ranger, a BP/W or even a ScubaPro Classic stab jacket. I don't find one "easier" than the other. They are all different gear configurations and you simply adapt to the configuration. Two weeks ago I was in the Philippines diving a shortie with Aluminum cylinders and my DSS Backplate and Torus 17 wing. Two weeks before that I was diving with a 5mm full and steel tanks off Jupiter, FL wearing an Aqualung BCD. This weekend I will be diving dry with steels and my DSS Backplate and Torus 35. I am not any "better" or "worse" with the different combinations. For recreational diving I like the flexibility that the BP/W gives me with respect to appropriate wing size for the dive type over a standard one configuration BCD. I honestly don't find it any "easier" to trim with one or the other.

My son is 16 and has over 300 dives since he turned 13. His trim and buoyancy is excellent. He can't stand a BP/W at all. He does not even like back-inflate BCDs. He loves his Aqualung Axiom jacket style BCD. He simply likes the feel of the Axiom best and that works just fine for him.

I think it is easier to pull a recreational BCD out of the box and get it to fit as long as you are close in ordering the correct size. They have all the straps to tighten or loosen as needed. I think you will find the help or mentoring of a good instructor/diver will serve you well with a BP/W as it takes more effort to "dial-in".

I had a Ranger LTD as my first BC. We still have 3 Zeagle BC's around. Great quality, American made, comfortable. I ended up ditching for a BPW setup once I realized I didn't need to be wrapped in 1000D Nylon to dive. I also ditched some extra weight.

My wife still has her Lazer for cold water and a Scout for travel (we have 2 Scout BC's, one is for sale on Ebay).

The great news about the Ranger is they hold their value pretty well if you buy it right, otherwise, buy one used on eBay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom