Choosing a BCD package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeKenney

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So here goes. I just joined yall site yesterday. I finished my first scuba certification Sunday and I am currently looking at bcds online now. I'm 200 lbs 6' tall used 14lbs of weight on my last dive. I know this sport is expensive but I'm an average family guy just getting started. My main interest is spear fishing in 40-80 feet of water. I'm looking at 2 different packages and looking for the pros and cons of these 2. First is the Cressi Start-Er Package and the 2nd is Sea Elite Scout BCD. Thanks for any info

I'll weigh in first I guess. Here's my thoughts, and you can agree or disagree with them as you see fit.

You are very close to one of the premier dive equipment manufacturers, Dive Rite which makes all of their soft goods in the USA, and HQ is just north of you in Lake City. They may not be the cheapest, but they put out very high quality products and stand behind them. Spear fishing is a unique activity as far as dive equipment is concerned but doesn't necessarily mean you have to have unique equipment to do it.

They sell something called the Hunterpac designed for spearfishing and it is a very nice rig, though it comes in just under $400 which isn't bad.
Dive Rite Hunter Pac | Air Hogs SCUBA NJP Store, SCUBA Sales
This is a nice streamlined rig that will keep your chest and sides open which helps tremendously.

You could also look at something like this
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Would allow you to grow with whatever you decide to do in diving, but also take almost 10lbs off of your weight welt *9 and change technically*, and still gives you the super clean chest area so you have full mobility.

Both of the above rigs will get you a much higher end rig, more versatile, and will most importantly help you with spearfishing since they are more streamlined.

You will see a lot of options for regulator sets, but either Air Hogs or Dive Right in Scuba *who can also get the hunterpac for you* will be able to help you out over the phone get a setup that will work best for you. I would recommend you watch this video to look at some options for hose routing, both of which are much nicer for spearfishing since everything is right where you need it with less drag and less opportunity to get something hooked.
[video=youtube;2OrTXi-hjv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OrTXi-hjv4[/video]

Sea Elite is the house brand of Diver's Supply. The quality is often hit or miss. I liked their wetsuits but hated their skins. Others have complained about their regulators and BCs. I would not buy it sight unseen. I would trust the TUSA more at the same price. If your willing to go a bit higher Dive Gear Express has a Dive Rite package for $300 that would be better. Dixie Divers is selling a complete BP/W setup on eBay for $250.

Back
Top Bottom