Weight Distribution BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster59

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

My question today: How best to figure weight distribution for 2 BP/W setups.

I have 2 different setups, both BP/W. One is a thick SS plate + thick STA, the other is a thin SS "dogbone" plate for travel with weight pockets on the cam-bands. 32lb. wing, fins are SB Jets (neg bouy).

I mostly dive single AL80's, with a 5mm full wetsuit size Med. I may buy a steel 100-120, but for now AL80's. No interest in doubles, wrecks, caves, etc. 5' 10" 170lb guy.

With the thick SS setup, I have 6 lbs. in a weight pouch belt. I like the belt. Trim seem perfect. I feel like I could take a nap at whatever depth I want. The belt itself doesn't seem uncomfortable on land. I'll set up the dogbone plate with whatever lead I need to match the other, or put the difference in the belt.

I wonder if I could move more weight to the plate / cambands, but I really don't like the idea of becoming a polaris missile from 50' if I ever had to ditch the gear. I think the real answer would be to free-dive with the wetsuit and weightbelt to see how much weight I need for that. Then put any under/over on the plate. Not really sure. I have the junk needed to make a P-weights or bolt-on weights for the plate.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I place a high value on being able to make it to the surface should any of the components of my BC fail. This means for most wetsuits, I will be carrying some ditchable lead. Dropping 8-12 lbs of lead at depth is NOT going to immediately send you shooting to the surface.

I am a big fan of elastic rubber weight belts- the ones freedivers use. They don't slide around and they automatically compensate for some suit compression and they can be worn low on your hips - if that feels comfortable.

I place a high value on being able to make it to the surface should any of the components of my BC fail. This means for most wetsuits, I will be carrying some ditchable lead. Dropping 8-12 lbs of lead at depth is NOT going to immediately send you shooting to the surface.

I am a big fan of elastic rubber weight belts- the ones freedivers use. They don't slide around and they automatically compensate for some suit compression and they can be worn low on your hips - if that feels comfortable.

Hi DD, what brand do you use, Mako?

I have two MAKO rubber belts. Only weight belt I will ever use from this point on. Quality construction and their guarantee is unique to the industry. Plus they are just plain good guys to deal with.

Hi DD, what brand do you use, Mako?

I've used several brands including Mako. I have even made DIY belts from truck inner tube. Mako belts are good, priced decently and they have a pretty cool emergency ditch policy.

I've used several brands including Mako. I have even made DIY belts from truck inner tube. Mako belts are good, priced decently and they have a pretty cool emergency ditch policy.

If you go over to the Spero website it seems they argue over which belt is best like we do over regulators.

For trim purposes, one or two strap mounted weight pouches are quite handy. I add 3lbs to the upper or lower cam band depending on which tank I'm using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to split up my weights, because among other things, it makes everything easier to move around on land, or to swap out tanks on a boat. I also use the rubber Mako belt (thanks to DD, who convinced me to try it).

Hi,

My question today: How best to figure weight distribution for 2 BP/W setups.

I have 2 different setups, both BP/W. One is a thick SS plate + thick STA, the other is a thin SS "dogbone" plate for travel with weight pockets on the cam-bands. 32lb. wing, fins are SB Jets (neg bouy).

I mostly dive single AL80's, with a 5mm full wetsuit size Med. I may buy a steel 100-120, but for now AL80's. No interest in doubles, wrecks, caves, etc. 5' 10" 170lb guy.

With the thick SS setup, I have 6 lbs. in a weight pouch belt. I like the belt. Trim seem perfect. I feel like I could take a nap at whatever depth I want. The belt itself doesn't seem uncomfortable on land. I'll set up the dogbone plate with whatever lead I need to match the other, or put the difference in the belt.

I wonder if I could move more weight to the plate / cambands, but I really don't like the idea of becoming a polaris missile from 50' if I ever had to ditch the gear. I think the real answer would be to free-dive with the wetsuit and weightbelt to see how much weight I need for that. Then put any under/over on the plate. Not really sure. I have the junk needed to make a P-weights or bolt-on weights for the plate.

Thanks for any help!

I'm not 100% sure what exactly you're asking, but I guess you want to experiment with moving weight back and forth between your hips and back until you get the trim you want. I don't think anyone can really tell you what the best distribution is for you. If your total ballast is in the 20lb range (thick plate +STA+6lbs of lead) you definitely want some of that to be ditchable. Its more for the surface than for at depth; most divers can swim up against several lbs of ballast, but keeping afloat for any length of time with your head out of the water is tougher.

For me, in a 5mil suit and an AL80 (a combination I rarely use, to be honest) I think I would put 4 lbs on my hips to counter the floaty-ness of the tank bottom, and the rest on my back. But this is best determined by experimenting.

Thanks for the replies. I may chainsaw through the ice and do some weight checks.

Back
Top Bottom