Questions concerning Backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaizeNBlue88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well thanks to you guys, I've seen the light. I have made an almost definite decision to get a BP/W setup. Right now I'm stuck on one thing though. Now I know there are a lot of people who are quite partial to a particular brand but I need some solid facts; or at least what you guys have seen from your experiences. Please don't inflate the truth to support a particular manufacturer either, I just need honesty.

Here's the thing, I'm currently considering getting a Dive Rite Stainless Steel XT Backplate as the platform for my setup. My thought is, because it's made of 316 stainless it will last longer with less degradation than many other brands that use 304 stainless. Also, it's the cheapest 316 stainless backplate that I've found. My questions are:

Does being made out of 316 stainless matter as much as I may be led to believe?

Are there better plates that I should consider? What is it exactly that makes these plates better?

What plates are going to be compatible with other manufacturers products like harnesses, wings, pads, weight pockets, etc.?

What plates, in your experience, have been the most comfortable; considering weight, contour, shape, hole layout, etc.?

Over the last few days I've looked at products/setups from Dive Rite, Apeks, DSS, Hollis, Halcyon, Oxycheq, HOG, and Zeagle. So far I've somewhat decided on the Dive Rite XT, but my decision is by no means set in stone. Please provide some info so that I can maybe give my fingers a rest from constant typing and searching for info. Thanks in advance guys.

Just about any of the back plates will last you a lifetime times 3....so take durability out of your issues :)

Some of the plates will contour to YOUR back with a better feel than others. ..but the differences are small here. ..with the possible exception of the FREEDOM PLATE by Eric... (who is a member of SB).

I think wing shape and durability will be a good area for you to find real differences, brand to brand.

I like narrow low drag wings like the Halcyon 18 pound wing...and one of Halcyons original claims to fame, was that their wings were far more puncture resistant than any others. ...and they would demo this against all competing makes at the DEMA SHOW. .to the delight of all watching...
it was a big deal to cave divers and some wreck divers doing penetrations...for guys just cruising reefs it may be "more race car than they need"...cheaper might do.

Well thanks to you guys, I've seen the light. I have made an almost definite decision to get a BP/W setup. Right now I'm stuck on one thing though. Now I know there are a lot of people who are quite partial to a particular brand but I need some solid facts; or at least what you guys have seen from your experiences. Please don't inflate the truth to support a particular manufacturer either, I just need honesty.

Here's the thing, I'm currently considering getting a Dive Rite Stainless Steel XT Backplate as the platform for my setup. My thought is, because it's made of 316 stainless it will last longer with less degradation than many other brands that use 304 stainless. Also, it's the cheapest 316 stainless backplate that I've found. My questions are:

Are there better plates that I should consider? What is it exactly that makes these plates better?

What plates are going to be compatible with other manufacturers products like harnesses, wings, pads, weight pockets, etc.?

What plates, in your experience, have been the most comfortable; considering weight, contour, shape, hole layout, etc.?

Over the last few days I've looked at products/setups from Dive Rite, Apeks, DSS, Hollis, Halcyon, Oxycheq, HOG, and Zeagle. So far I've somewhat decided on the Dive Rite XT, but my decision is by no means set in stone. Please provide some info so that I can maybe give my fingers a rest from constant typing and searching for info. Thanks in advance guys.

Well, what's the difference? Not much. Certainly with you just getting your feet wet you'll hardly notice anything. I've owned/used just about every plate and with only one exception (DSS) they are all very similar. Tobins plates are just a step above thanks to materials/features. Most plates and wings/accessories are compatible. If you aren't a "buy it once and never change" kinda guy you'll probably find yourself acquiring more plates, wings and accessories. Honestly, it's hard to go wrong. Most BP/W's are pretty good and you'll be happy with almost any of them. If you have to add significant weight to your system then I'd strongly suggest the DSS rig. Others you can add weighted STA's, pouches and weight belts but Tobins weight system is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm specifying plumping for a pulpmill or a propeller shart in a boat that will always be immersed in salt water and difficult to service I'll use 316.

We don't dive in hot caustics, and scuba gear is typically rinsed occasionally. 304 performs well, and passivated 304 performers very well.

All DSS stainless parts are passivated About Passivation | Process Stainless Lab, Inc.

Tobin

If passivation makes 304 stainless perform "very well," then by that logic, wouldn't' the Hollis backplate that's made of 316 stainless AND is electropolished perform extremely well? Especially because the site says electropolishing is "an electrochemical process that is a "super passivator" of stainless steel". I'm just trying to make sense of it all. I know you have to defend your own product at DSS but I'm just trying to find what will work best.

You're not going to have corrosion issues with any of these, as you've already been told. Buy whatever fits best, and for the love of all that's holy don't buy a new BP if you can find a reasonably priced used one you like...it's a bent, drilled piece of SS, you won't be needing a warranty for it.

you're over-thinking this bud, the 316 is nice if you're diving every day in salt water with no ability to rinse your gear reliably and plan on doing it every day for the better part of a few decades. Not worth it, is it nice? sure, but wouldn't cause me to spend more money on it. I.e. the Blue Reef plate from LP currently at $50, even though not passivated, is still worth it over the Dive Rite just because it is 316. Think of all of the AL backplates that have been made for years and used primarily in the ocean with guys in doubles and they're just fine and aluminum does not particularly enjoy outings in the salt. Aluminum is down there with Zinc which is used to protect steel tanks from rusting by being sacrificed as an anode. You're not in the water long enough for this to ever be a real problem, and if you're rinsing in fresh water and it dries relatively quickly *less than a few days*, then you're going to be fine.

At this point in the backplate market I'd do one of two things.
Piece-meal it together/grab a cheap setup on here on ebay, or buy a DSS full setup from Tobin and be done with it. His plates are a bit flatter which is nice for singles, his wings are brilliantly designed, the injection molded webbing savers on the plates are really nifty as well, and it will last pretty much forever.

So what I'm gathering that no matter what plate I buy, it's essentially going to do exactly the same thing. Also as far as I'm concerned, considering it won't be left at the bottom of the ocean for 100 years, they will all last. Am I getting this right? For those of you that have read my other posts, I'm just trying to educate myself. So I should probably worry more about other components, shouldn't I?

So what I'm gathering that no matter what plate I buy, it's essentially going to do exactly the same thing. Also as far as I'm concerned, considering it won't be left at the bottom of the ocean for 100 years, they will all last. Am I getting this right?
Yes. I dive a halcyon SS plate I picked up on eBay for $75 because it's aesthetically pleasing, has good form/function, and the finish on the slots for the webbing is second to none. But paying the $270 halcyon wants for a new SS plate is bananas IMO, and a stolen street sign I hacksawed, pressed, and drilled would function and survive just as well. Get whatever you like and think is worth the money, but it's all more or less the same in terms of how well it works and what it can survive.

So I should probably worry more about other components, shouldn't I?
No, don't overthink those, either.

I have a few SS Bp's. My DSS is my favorite do to the fit and some options it comes with. YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom