Patch a wing bladder pinch flat and prevent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As careful as I've tried to be, sometime during my trip to Hawaii last week, I got 3 holes in my DSS LCD 30 wing bladder. 2 of them are in the same spot, just on opposite sides of the bladder, so clearly from one hit from a backplate corner (I guess). The 3rd was a little lower, on the same side, so possibly the bladder was folded over and damaged in the same hit. All there were simple cuts about 1/4" long.

Anyway, I patched them all using some Aquaseal and pieces of bicycle inner tube (all carefully cleaned first with Ditzo DX-440). I let it all cure overnight and inflated it orally this morning to as full as I could. It seems to be holding air, but I'll let it sit for a day or two to be sure.

Is this likely to be a solid long-term repair?

And, as Tobin reports that this is by far the most common type of damage to a wing bladder, is there some way to prevent it from happening again? The first idea that comes to mind is using some big pieces of car tire inner tube to line the interior of the bottom portion of the wing shell. Maybe even use a dab of Aquaseal to glue the inner tube to the inside of the shell, to keep it on place. Or maybe even get a motorcycle tire inner tube with a diameter to match the size of the wing shell and make a tube for each side, instead of just square pieces for the front and back.

Would this work? Cause problems? Anybody have a better suggestion (other than "be more careful"? I was already trying to be really careful)

Re your repair, I'd ask Tobin.

Trying to be more careful would probably be the easiest solution. I have been diving wings for around 9 years, I travel dive a lot and dive locally almost every weekend I've never had a pinch flat. In fact I don't know anyone personally who has. When travel diving I separeate the wing from the plate, the plate goes in the bottom of my suitcase then clothes etc the wing in between clothing. On the boat I don't let anyone touch, assemble or disassemble my gear. I do all loading and unloading too. No one cares as much about my gear as me. Good luck, hope you get it permanently sorted.

I'd replace it with a wider wing that gets pinched less.

I'd replace it with a wider wing that gets pinched less.

What? That makes no sense, please explain.

I have two different wings in the 30/32 range. One is narrow and one is wider. But both of them extend down below the plate.

I have also never had an issue with any pinch flats. I think just being careful and then disassemble when needed is all it takes to avoid these.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 08:36 AM ----------

I would think that since they may have all occurred from the same incident, it was most likely dropped.

Re your repair, I'd ask Tobin.

Trying to be more careful would probably be the easiest solution. I have been diving wings for around 9 years, I travel dive a lot and dive locally almost every weekend I've never had a pinch flat. In fact I don't know anyone personally who has. When travel diving I separeate the wing from the plate, the plate goes in the bottom of my suitcase then clothes etc the wing in between clothing. On the boat I don't let anyone touch, assemble or disassemble my gear. I do all loading and unloading too. No one cares as much about my gear as me. Good luck, hope you get it permanently sorted.

I called DSS first. They said they do not patch bladders anymore and they would just replace the bladder for me for $50. With shipping, I reckon that would probably end up costing me around $70, total, or more. Worth trying to patch it myself, first (to me).

I also separate the wing, roll it up (around the LPI), and travel with it away from the BP. In a carry-on bag, no less. I also am the only one that handles my rig. And I was very aware that this is the most likely way to damage the wing, so I was really trying to be careful. But, I have a suspicion I was on a boat, changing tanks and the motion of the boat caused me to sway and have to catch myself to keep from falling, while I was holding the BPW, but before the first cam band was over the tank. And so, I may have accidentally "dropped" it onto the bench top.

What? That makes no sense, please explain.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding where it got pinched? That wing says it has a stabilizer that is to be used in place of an STA so I'm presuming it was pinched between the tank and plate, right? If so, a wider opening like I have on my diverite rec exp gives extra clearance.

If you end up replacing it, dive addicts still has Hollis 45lb wings for $100 new. It's been that price for so long, I don't think it's fair to call it a "sale."

I called DSS first. They said they do not patch bladders anymore and they would just replace the bladder for me for $50. With shipping, I reckon that would probably end up costing me around $70, total, or more. Worth trying to patch it myself, first (to me).

I also separate the wing, roll it up (around the LPI), and travel with it away from the BP. In a carry-on bag, no less. I also am the only one that handles my rig. And I was very aware that this is the most likely way to damage the wing, so I was really trying to be careful. But, I have a suspicion I was on a boat, changing tanks and the motion of the boat caused me to sway and have to catch myself to keep from falling, while I was holding the BPW, but before the first cam band was over the tank. And so, I may have accidentally "dropped" it onto the bench top.

I'm guessing a bladder replacement is a little spendy? I'm also guessing that Tobin beleives patching is not so good otherwise he'd be doing it, he knows his stuff. Don't mean to sound like an ass but taking more care would greatly eliminate the chance of a reoccurrence. I know things can get tricky changing tanks on a rocking boat.

I too am confused as to how having a wider wing will solve anything? I apologise if I've missed something.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 10:45 AM ----------

@kelemvor, just read your post, now I understand, thanks.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding where it got pinched? That wing says it has a stabilizer that is to be used in place of an STA so I'm presuming it was pinched between the tank and plate, right? If so, a wider opening like I have on my diverite rec exp gives extra clearance.

If you end up replacing it, dive addicts still has Hollis 45lb wings for $100 new. It's been that price for so long, I don't think it's fair to call it a "sale."

The OP has a wing for a single tank.
The wing in your link is a wing for doubles. The have a single bladder and a double bladder wing, but they are both for double tanks.

Cheers,
Mitch

This is a doubles wing, great price though.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 08:32 AM ----------

Would this work? Cause problems? Anybody have a better suggestion (other than "be more careful"? I was already trying to be really careful)

First, did you use Cotol-240 because aqua seal takes longer to cure?

Second, back in the day wreck divers (maybe cavers too) did use inner tubes to add puncture resistance to their wings. I am not sure exactly how it was done. But got the impression the bladder was removed and used as a template to try to fit the tube to the bladder. The cutouts for the dumps it would assume would keep the tube more or less in place.

though not likely his wing - this is likely the type of failure experienced....

photo is by Tobin @ Deep Sea Supply
attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom