buying my first BCD (or semi-wing) - please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClairevL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My boyfriend and I have only been diving for a short while (we have only done about 40 dives), but we absolutely love it...we already booked 3 liveaboard trips for this year:) So now we want to get our own equipment. We already bought regulators (aqualung LX supreme), but now we are looking for the wright BCD. However we think it is quite difficult to decide which BCD is the right one. So far we asked advise in a few stores, but we feel like not everyone is completely honest with us and they all say different things, so that makes it quite hard to decide.
- We want to find something in the more budget range – preferably below 400 euro.
- I think for me a female BCD is a better fit
- We have been advised semi-wings, and they seem great, but we don’t have experience with them. Does anybody know of good semi-wings in this price range? Or would you recommend a normal BCD over a semi-wing. It seems quite hard to come up with drawbacks of the semi-wing.
- We are looking for the right trade-off between weight and durability. We will travel a fair bit, so weight is important to some extent, but we don’t want to give in too much to robustness.
Some BCDs we have been looking at: Cressi Back Jac, Seac Sub Pro 2000, Mares hybrid AT (also she dives), Aqualung Pearl.
I would be incredibly happy to get some advise here! Thanks very much in advance!

We will travel a fair bit, so weight is important to some extent
Pearl's are pretty heavy - 7.93 lbs. Can you get one there for under 400 euro? Here in the states they're about 520 euro.

For travel BC's Aqualung sells the Zuma. It's much more of a minimalist configuration for warm water use. Only weighs 4.75 lbs. It does have integrated weights and a front pocket. If you're a size small or medium, it might not have enough lift for cold water at 22lbs. Also comes in Pink accents and has a travel bag for storage - I believe you roll it up. Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use - Zuma Based on US pricing they're 388 euro.

You're on the right track with a semi-wing - we call that back-inflate here in the states. Having all the buoyancy on your back makes it a lot easier to trim out horizontally at depth which is where you'll actually be diving - not floating on the surface in a jacket-style BCD.

Personally I'd stay as far away from an AT as I can throw it. They use a proprietary system of pneumatic valves to make the AirTrim work. Adding endless complexity both in the mechanism and the valves. Being proprietary means if if breaks on a trip, you'll have to find an Mares dealer or rent till you can get it fixed. Also since both dump valves open every time, they're also Mares proprietary.

I can't for the life of me understand why both they and Aqualung choose to open all the valves every time. Basic physics tells you that the air bubble always seeks the highest point. So they have to endlessly complicate a simple pull spring loaded dump valve with a one way check valve to ensure water doesn't enter the BC at the lower one. I can't speak for you but I'm able to reach all three dump valves on my BC as needed.

While their dealer network is extensive, they're not everywhere. For example, you likely won't find anyone who can work on it on a liveaboard - about the only affiliation I'm aware of is that the Aggressor Fleet boats are also Aqualung partners so may have parts available. BC's with standard inflators don't break very often and if it does go bad, generally a rental can be cannibalized for a working one. Not so with the AirTrim.

From a safety standpoint it's not a great idea either. Most rescue divers - or other people willing to come to your aid - are likely to be looking for a standard inflator hose and the standard configuration. Ask your dealer to show you where they conveniently HIDE the manual inflator hose. (hint, check the left pocket) This of course assumes you're unconscious and your AirTrim is defective. And someone knows where to look for it.

I think it's telling that Mares USA used to offer the AirTrim in about 4 models on their website - as recently as a year or two ago. Now there's just the one.

my .02...

Last edited:
However we think it is quite difficult to decide which BCD is the right one. So far we asked advise in a few stores, but we feel like not everyone is completely honest with us and they all say different things, so that makes it quite hard to decide.

The problem you will have Claire is that each dive shop will try to tell you what they carry is the best and that is what you want. If possible, it is best to try before you buy. What seem to be the most comfortable on land may not be the best in the water.

My boyfriend and I have only been diving for a short while (we have only done about 40 dives), but we absolutely love it...we already booked 3 liveaboard trips for this year:) So now we want to get our own equipment. We already bought regulators (aqualung LX supreme), but now we are looking for the wright BCD. However we think it is quite difficult to decide which BCD is the right one. So far we asked advise in a few stores, but we feel like not everyone is completely honest with us and they all say different things, so that makes it quite hard to decide.
- We want to find something in the more budget range – preferably below 400 euro.
- I think for me a female BCD is a better fit
- We have been advised semi-wings, and they seem great, but we don’t have experience with them. Does anybody know of good semi-wings in this price range? Or would you recommend a normal BCD over a semi-wing. It seems quite hard to come up with drawbacks of the semi-wing.
- We are looking for the right trade-off between weight and durability. We will travel a fair bit, so weight is important to some extent, but we don’t want to give in too much to robustness.
Some BCDs we have been looking at: Cressi Back Jac, Seac Sub Pro 2000, Mares hybrid AT (also she dives), Aqualung Pearl.
I would be incredibly happy to get some advise here! Thanks very much in advance!

Cost, no problem
Fit, no offense but you're wrong, bp/w's fit the female body better due to the harness
Where are you located? that will help determine brands. I can't recommend the DSS Kydex plates enough, total package weight of under 4lbs for a full out rig and while they are a smidge over the $400 euro mark, they hold resale value and will last forever. Very much worth it *cost is 430euro at this point*

The lift on the Cressi starts at 30 lbs and ends at 50 lbs which is quite high. The Pearl is more reasonable. Are you warm or cold water diver?

A constant question -- which BC to get.

I think it is important to prioritize your needs and then find the best BCD that fits with your priorities:

What are (may be) the priorities for a BCD?

A. The most important is the actual function -- lift and holding your tank stable -- is there sufficient lift in the BC to do its job of keeping you neutral and "compensating" for the loss of lift of your wetsuit. IF you are planning just for tropical diving, then, honestly, just about any BCD will have sufficient lift -- the problem may be that most will have excess lift which is not optimal.

A problem can be with holding the tank stable -- make sure the "core" of the BCD is strong enough to keep the tank from wobbling.

B. Fit/Comfort -- you'll be wearing the thing so make sure it fits you and is comfortable. Again, if you are planning on diving in only one type of conditions (tropics), you only need to be concerned about it fitting over one type of exposure protection -- but make sure the adjustments fit YOU.

C. Travel Ease -- two things, weight and packing -- Typically, the lighter the BCD, the less there is to it which means it may not do as good of a job in keeping the tank stable (PRIMARY function). In addition, a one piece BCD may be somewhat bulky when it comes to packing. A modular BCD may allow for much more efficient packing space.

For what it's worth -- in my opinion, there is only one type of BCD which meets all of these -- the Back plate and Wing system and you should be able to find one for under 400 E.

[h=2]buying my first BCD (or semi-wing) - please help![/h]I would be incredibly happy to get some advise here! Thanks very much in advance!

Best advice I can offer: Buy your SECOND BCD first!

Thanks so much for all your help! I'm located in the Netherlands. I will mostly use my BCD for warmer water (20+ degrees Celsius) for which I plan to use a 5 mm wetsuit, but I will also a little bit of diving in the cold Netherlands (where I'll need a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit). The brands that are mostly available in the Netherlands are Mares, Aqualung, Seac, Cressi.

DiverSteve, I'm verry happy to hear you don't recommend the AT system, I had my doubts about it already, but the people in the shop kept being so enthusiastic about it.

TBone10004, sorry for not being clear about the fit. I meant I think that a female BCD would fit me better than a male/unisex BCD:) Indeed a don't see why it would be a better fit than a wing. Is there any wing you'd suggest that is available here (that you know of)?

The Bp/W system sounds like a great option. However I think I would also be happy with pockets...so what are your opinions on semi-wings or back inflate BCDs? Does anyone have experience with the Cressi Back Jac?

http://www.scubapro.com/media/323910/usa2015catalog.pdf page 34-35

X-TEK PURE TEK HARNESS = 74$

X-TEK ALUMINUMBACKPLATE = 143$

X-TEK DONUT WING (13 kg / 30 lb) = 352$ (keep small wing volume ! , donut shape )

X-TEKACCESSORY POUCH LARGE = $ 50

point - take look on components depends from LDS , online shop , used stuff .....

clean very simple system , upgradable in every direction (recreational - tech ) , keeps value through time ( if you sell it almost without money lost ) , respected brand , .... IMO best option ,

you can get also on eBay used a lot of similar stuff much cheaper but same quality from DTD , DUX ,DIR ZONE ( these systems are all interchangeable ) and you can

upgrade it over the time or simple repair....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom